2021 Ontario energy and property tax credit (OEPTC) - Calculation sheet for single seniors who have no children
Download a calculation sheet in pdf format.
Use this calculation if you were 64 years of age or older and single on December 31, 2020, and you do not have the care of a child under the age of 18 on the first day of the payment month.
You may have to use a different calculation sheet for a particular month if you become a parent of a child under the age of 18.
Step 1 - Occupancy cost
- Multiply your rent paid in Ontario for 2020 by 20%.
- Add your property tax paid in Ontario for 2020.
- Add $25.00 if you lived in a student residence.
This is your occupancy cost.
Step 2 - Energy component
- Multiply the amount paid for a public or non-profit long-term care home in Ontario for 2020 by 20%.
- Add the amount paid for home energy costs on a reserve in Ontario for 2020.
- Add your occupancy cost from Step 1.
- Subtract $25.00 if you lived in a student residence.
Your energy component is D or $243.00, whichever is less.
Step 3 - Property tax component
- Multiply the result of Step 1 by 10%.
- Use A or $487.00, whichever is less.
- Add $517.00 to B.
Your property tax component is C or the result Step 1, whichever is less.
Step 4 - Energy and property tax credit
- Add the result of Step 2 and Step 3.
- Subtract $30,415.00 from your adjusted family net income for 2020 (if negative, the result is zero).
- Multiply B by 2%.
- Subtract C from A.
This is your annual energy and property tax credit, unless Step 5 applies.
Step 5 - Annual Ontario energy and property tax credit
If you will receive or have received a 2021 Ontario senior homeowners' property tax grant (OSHPTG), complete this Step. Otherwise, divide the result of Step 4 by 12 to calculate your monthly OEPTC entitlement.
- Add the amount of your 2021 OSHPTG to the result of Step 4.
- Subtract the result of Step 2 from A (if negative, the result is zero).
- Subtract the result of Step 1 from B (if negative, the result is zero)
- Subtract C from the result of Step 4.
- Divide D by 12.
D is your annual OEPTC entitlement.
E is your monthly OEPTC entitlement.
If your annual OEPTC amount plus, if applicable, your annual Ontario sales tax credit and Northern Ontario energy credit is:
- $2.00 or less, no payment will be issued.
- from $2.01 to $10.00, you will receive one payment of $10.00.
- $360.00 or less, you will receive it in one payment instead of monthly.
The first monthly 2021 Ontario trillium benefit payment, which includes any OEPTC entitlement, will be issued on July 9, 2021.
However, if you made a choice on your 2020 return to wait to receive your 2021 OTB entitlement, it will be issued on June 10, 2022.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: