Auto-fill my return
Auto-fill my return is a secure Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) service that allows individuals and authorized representatives using certified software to automatically fill in parts of a 2017, 2016 and 2015 income tax and benefit return with information that the CRA has available at the time of filing the return.
How do I use Auto-fill my return?
To use the Auto-fill my return service, you must:
When you are ready to use Auto-fill my return, your software will prompt you to enter your My Account user ID and password. Follow the steps provided in the software you are using. Once Auto-fill my return has populated your return with the information, make sure that all the proper fields on the return are filled in and that the information provided is true and accurate before you file your return.
Preparing a tax return for a family member or a friend
Individuals can also use Auto-fill my return on behalf of a family member. If you prepare a tax return for a family member or a friend, you need to:
- Be authorized by your family member or friend to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. You will need a RepID, which you can get through the Represent a Client portal. The RepID identifies you with the CRA
- Give your RepID to your family member or friend so they can use it to authorize you as their representative online, through their My Account, or by filling out and submitting Form T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative.
- Once you are authorized, you can use Auto-fill my return to access their tax information and file a return for them.
Each individual should enter their own userid and password to use Auto-fill my return to automatically fill in parts of a 2017, 2016 and 2015 income tax return.
For more information on authorizing a representative, go to Authorize or cancel a representative..
To use the Auto-fill my return service, you must:
- register and be approved as an electronic filer
- register in Represent a Client and have a RepID, GroupID, or business number
- make sure you have a valid Form T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative, with level 1 (or higher) authorization for online access on file with the CRA
- use EFILE-certified software that offers Auto-fill my return
The Auto-fill my return service is available in most NETFILE and EFILE-certified software products. If you have questions about your certified software product, contact the software product company directly.
What information does Auto-fill my return deliver?
The Auto-fill my return service will deliver all of the information listed below that is available at the time of the request. The CRA receives tax information from third parties and as such, the CRA should have most tax information slips and other tax-related information for the 2017 tax year by mid-March 2018. However, if the information is not available, it is possible that the CRA has not yet received it. If that is the case, please try the service again later.
The following information is available for 2017, 2016 and 2015 income tax and benefit returns:
Tax information slips
- T3, Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
- T4, Statement of Remuneration Paid
- T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
- T4A(OAS), Statement of Old Age Security
- T4A(P), Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
- T4E, Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
- T4RIF, Statement of Income from a Registered Retirement Income Fund
- T4RSP, Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan Income
- T5, Statement of Investment Income
- T5007, Statement of Benefits
- T5008, Statement of Securities Transactions
- RC62, Universal Child Care Benefit Statement
- RC210, Working Income Tax Benefit Advance Payments Statement
- registered retirement savings plan contribution receipt
- PRPP, Pooled registered pension plan
- T1204, Government Service Contract Payments
- RENT ASSIST
For more information, go to Tax information slips.
Other tax-related information
The following information is available for 2017 income tax and benefit returns:
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan contribution limit
- Home Buyers’ Plan repayment amount
- Lifelong Learning Plan repayment amount
- non-capital losses
- capital gains and losses
- capital gains deductions
- federal tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- provincial tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
Client Data Enquiry (CDE)
The CDE is a service that provides the following 2017 client information to representatives using EFILE certified software.
- Home Buyers' Plan repayment amount and repayable balance
- Lifelong Learning Plan repayment amount and repayable balance
- Social assistance or workers' compensation benefits
- Employment insurance and other benefits (T4E)
- Working income tax benefit advance payments (RC210)
- Universal child care benefit (RC62)
- Reassessment information
- Balance owing
- New balance owing message for prior claim(s) on a refund
- No debt owing indicators
- Current tax year return
- Insolvency, consumer proposal indicator
- Other existing outstanding balances
- Recent page access
- Federal tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- Provincial tuition, education, and textbook carryforward amounts
- Disability tax credit eligibility
- Unfiled returns
- External refund set-off amounts
- Internal refund set-off notification
- Reassessment in progress
- Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income (T4A)
- CPP payments (T4A(P))
- Outstanding GST/HST returns
- Working income tax benefit
- Immigration Date
- Emigration Date
- EFILE ineligibility indicators
- Direct deposit indicators
Before you file using the information delivered by Auto-fill my return
Before you file a tax return with the CRA using the information delivered by Auto-fill my return you have to ensure that all the proper fields on the return are filled in correctly, including information not delivered by Auto-fill my return, and that the information provided is true and accurate. It remains the taxpayer's responsibility to report their income before a tax return is submitted to the CRA.
If you are missing or notice a mistake on an information slip, contact the employer, payer, or administrator for that slip.
If you notice a mistake in the tax-related information, have an account-specific question about other tax-related information, or need additional information, call the Individual Tax enquiries service at 1-800-959-8281.
If you are having problems with the Auto-fill my return login process, go to CRA user ID and password help and FAQs or contact the Individual Tax enquiries service at 1-800-959-8281.
Information about T5 slips (Statement of Investment Income)
T5 slips in more than one name (couples or parent/child)
The Auto-fill my return service gathers all tax income slips that the CRA has available in My Account for you to review in your software. You will be prompted to determine if the amount is accurate and who should report the income from slips showing more than one individual’s name. You will then be able to verify and choose if you wish to report the income in total, in part, or not at all.
Splitting income from a T5 slip
Once the Auto-fill my return service delivers the T5 slip into a NETFILE-certified software, you need to report your share of interest from a joint investment based on how much you contributed to it. You can enter the percentage of interest directly in the software. The difference would need to be declared by the other individual.
Information about the T5008 slip (Statement of Securities Transactions)
T5008 – more than 500 slips
The Auto-fill my return service will not deliver more than 500 T5008 slips. If your client has 501 slips or more, they will receive an error message informing them that there were too many slips to deliver. In such a case, all of the T5008 slips will have to be manually entered.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: