Questions and answers about My Payment


What is it?

What is My Payment?

My Payment is an electronic payment service, available on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website, that allows individuals and businesses to send payments directly to the CRA using their Visa Debit or Interac Online bank access card from a participating Canadian financial institution.

How much does it cost to use My Payment?

The CRA does not charge any fee for using the My Payment service. My Payment also allows a number of separate payments to be included in one transaction. Your financial institution processes the payment and may charge a fee for this service, or it may be part of your banking package. Contact your financial institution to ask about any fees.

If your financial institution charges a transaction fee, it will be charged only once regardless of the number of payments included in the transaction.

Is My Payment secure?

Yes. My Payment is secure for a number of reasons:

  • The payment is completed over the Visa network or through your existing online banking service with Interac Online.
  • No personal information is exchanged over the Internet between the CRA and your financial institution.
Why should I use My Payment?

My Payment is a quick, easy, and secure way to send payments to the CRA.

It simplifies accounting because the transaction is done right away. You do not have to wait for a cheque to arrive at the CRA and wait again for it to clear your bank account.

What are the advantages of using My Payment instead of the service provided by my financial institution?

You can certainly make payments to the CRA from your online banking site, the same way you pay your other bills. My Payment offers advantages for individuals and business owners, for example:

  • You can send multiple payments in one online transaction to the CRA.
  • You can make CRA payments that may not yet be available through your online banking service (for example: Child and family benefits payments).
  • You can make a CRA payment from either a personal account or most business accounts.
  • You can make CRA payments to business revenue lines which are generally not possible from a personal bank account at a financial institution.
  • Your CRA account will be credited on the day you make your payment or the following business day if it is made on a weekend or holiday.

Who can use it?

Who can use My Payment?

The My Payment service is currently available to users who have a Visa Debit or an Interac Online bank card from participating Canadian financial institutions.

You must have access to sufficient funds, and the transaction total must be within your financial institution’s withdrawal limit.

Can non-residents use this service?

Yes, non-residents can remit their payments in Canadian funds using their Visa Debit or Interac Online bank card from participating financial institutions in Canada with My Payment.

What are the participating financial institutions?

My Payment is available to users with a Visa Debit card from:

  • Scotiabank
  • RBC Royal Bank
  • TD Canada Trust
  • CIBC

My Payment is available to users with online banking at the following financial institutions with their Interac Online debit cards.

  • BMO Bank of Montreal (personal accounts only)
  • Scotiabank
  • RBC Royal Bank
  • TD Canada Trust
  • Beaubear Credit Union
  • Copperfin Credit Union
  • Envision Financial
  • Interior Savings
  • Kingston Community Credit Union
  • Libro Credit Union
  • Limestone Credit Union
  • Mennonite Savings and Credit Union
  • OPPA Credit Union
  • PenFinancial Credit Union
  • Tandia Financial Credit Union
  • The Police Credit Union
  • Toronto Municipal Employees’ Credit Union
  • Valley Credit Union
  • Windsor Family Credit Union
  • Your Credit Union
Why is my financial institution not a participating financial institution?

To participate in My Payment, the financial institution must have an agreement with Interac, allowing its clients to send money to any merchant or organization that is accepting Interac Online payments.

What can I do if my financial institution is not a participating financial institution?

There are a number of ways to make payments electronically to the CRA, including other online banking methods. For more information, go to Make a payment.

If my card has a Visa debit logo and an Interac logo, can I still use My Payment?

Yes, a co-badged card that has both the Visa Debit logo and the Interac logo can be used with My Payment. The method of payment will be through the Visa network.

How does it work?

How does My Payment work?

From the CRA page, My Payment – save time, pay online! click on the ‘Start My Payment’ button to begin.

  • On the ‘Select a payment’ page, click on the CRA payment type that you want to pay. (Step 1). This will bring you to the ‘Select payment allocation’ page.
  • Select the payment allocation from the list of choices (Step 2), which will bring you to the “Enter payment details’ page.
  • Enter the required information in the fields provided for the payment chosen (Step 3), then click on 'Next'. If an error message displays over a field, it must be corrected to proceed.
  • Step 4 displays the transaction details. The payment(s) can be modified or removed using the radio button to select. If the details are OK, click on the ‘Confirm and proceed to pay’ button to go to Step 5.
  • Step 5 will provide additional information and the total amount to be paid. Click on the ‘Pay now’ button to proceed.
  • After Step 5 – you will leave the CRA website and be directed to a secure external payment site to choose your payment method of either Visa Debit or Interac.
  • If you have a Visa Debit card or a co-badged card with both a Visa Debit logo and an Interac logo, select Visa Debit and complete the mandatory fields of: Cardholder Name; Card number and Expiry Date (MMYY) and then click on the ‘Process Transaction’ button to complete the transaction. You will then be directed back to the CRA – Step 6 of 6 – for the confirmation page and receipt.
  • If you have a bank card with only an Interac logo, click on the radio button beside Interac and then click on the ‘Process Transaction’ button. This will direct you to the Interac Online page to select your financial institution and use your regular banking sign in credentials to confirm your payment transaction. You will then be directed back to the CRA – Step 6 of 6 – for the confirmation page and receipt.
What information do I need to make a payment using My Payment?

Each step displays the information that is required, such as :

  • a 9 digit social insurance  number, a CRA 15 digit business number, or a 9 digit non-resident account number;
  • the payment type and where you want to have the payment applied; and
  • the amount you want to pay.

Businesses may also need to enter:

  • the reporting period or tax year to apply the amount to;
  • the gross or assessable payroll, and
  • the number of employees.
What type of payments can I make using the CRA's My Payment service?

Most types of individual, business, corporate, and non-resident payments are available options.

How do I pay the amount owing on my British Columbia Family Benefits account, because I don't see the program listed?

All provincial programs, other than those listed for Alberta and Ontario, can be made by selecting: Child and family benefits payment - Canada child benefits (CCB). A payment directed to the CCB will be applied first to any amount owing under the provincial programs and then to any amount owing under the federal program.

How can I be sure my payment was successfully received by the CRA?

After completing your transaction over the Visa network or at your financial institution with Interac, you will be directed back to the CRA site (Step 6 of 6) where a confirmation page that includes a receipt will be displayed. You should save or print the confirmation page for your records in the unlikely event that the payment is not reflected on your CRA account. A CRA representative can use the information from your receipt to locate your payment.

If I make my payment on a weekend or on a statutory holiday, on which day will the CRA recognize the payment as being made?

Payments made on weekends and statutory holidays will be recognized as being made on the following business day. Payments made on a regular business day will be recognized as being made on the same business day.

Why did I receive a message telling me that the application is unavailable?

Various messages are displayed when the service is not available due to system maintenance, service outage, or technical difficulties beyond our control.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: