Bankruptcy is a legal process by which you may be discharged from most of your debts. Its purpose is to permit an honest, but unfortunate debtor to obtain a discharge from most debts, subject to reasonable conditions.

There are three different ways to go into bankruptcy:

  • voluntary assignment - where insolvent persons make an assignment of all their assets for the general benefit of all creditors
  • involuntary assignment - when a creditor files a petition in a provincial court for a receiving order against the debtor's assets, known as being petitioned into bankruptcy
  • deemed bankruptcy - when a debtor, who has started the insolvency process, has failed to meet the requirements for filing a Division I proposal in bankruptcy under theBankruptcy and Insolvency Act or has failed to adhere to the provisions provided within the proposal after it has been filed and accepted by the creditors/court

You or your representative (trustee/administrator) may have to send a copy of the court-issued Assignment in Bankruptcy, a Bankruptcy Notice, or a document titled First Meeting of Creditors to your Insolvency Intake Centres.

Usually, the business number (BN) of a bankrupt client will be closed after discharge.

Rights of a bankrupt

The bankrupt has the right to earn a living. For this purpose, the bankrupt is allowed to engage in or continue a taxable business activity outside of the estate, after a bankruptcy.

For more information on how bankruptcy will affect your business, go to Bankruptcy - Business structures.

Related links

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: