What to include in your return

What to include in your return

Find out what you need to include in your return depending on your situation.

If you have charged the GST/HST and you have not collected it yet

You are liable for the GST/HST you charged on goods or services on the day you receive the payment or on the day the payment is due (whichever day is earlier). The Canada Revenue Agency considers the payment to be due on the date you issue an invoice or the date specified in an agreement, whichever comes first.

If you issue an invoice before you receive the payment, you have to include the GST/HST charged on the invoice in the reporting period that includes the date of the invoice, even if you have not yet collected the tax.

For more information, see Records you need to support your claim.

If you have charged the GST/HST and you were never paid for it

If you already reported and remitted the GST/HST for a credit sale on your GST/HST return, and all or part of the amount owed to you became a bad debt, you can recover the GST/HST you overpaid as a tax adjustment in your line 108 calculation if you are filing electronically or on line 107 if you are filing a paper GST/HST return. To do this, you have to deal with the person at arm's length. Then you can write off the amount owing as a bad debt in your records.

Bad debt being recovered

If you claimed a bad debt adjustment and you later receive a payment towards that debt, see Remit (pay) the tax you collect – Correct a payment.

If you did not charge the GST/HST when you were supposed to

If you were required to charge the GST/HST, but did not charge it, you are still liable for the tax.

You have to include the GST/HST that you should have charged in the reporting period during which you should have charged the tax.

If you were charged the GST/HST and you have not yet paid it

When you calculate your ITCs, you can include the GST/HST for purchases and expenses for which you have been invoiced but not yet paid. This means that you can claim an ITC on your return for the GST/HST you owe to your suppliers before you pay the invoice.

If you own multiple businesses

If you have multiple businesses that you operate as a sole proprietor, you have to include the revenues from all of them and the applicable GST/HST under your GST/HST account number.

If you sold business assets

If you sell individual assets of your business, such as equipment or furniture, GST/HST generally applies to the supply. 

If you provided a taxable benefit to an employee

If you are considered to have collected the GST/HST on a taxable benefit, you have to calculate the amount of the GST/HST due. The amount of the GST/HST you are considered to have collected on a taxable benefit is based on a percentage of the value of the benefit for GST/HST purposes.

The percentage rate you use depends on both of the following factors:

  • the province or territory in which the employee ordinarily reported to work
  • whether or not the benefit is an automobile operating expense benefit

For more information, see Determine if a benefit is taxable.

If your revenue from taxable supplies fall below the threshold

Once you are registered, even if your revenue from taxable supplies is $30,000.00 or below, you still have to charge and remit the GST/HST on your taxable supplies of property and services.

Page details

Date modified: