Workers' compensation claims
When an employee cannot work because of an employment-related injury, a worker's compensation board may award benefits as compensation for lost wages.
On April 29, 2021, the Ontario COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit came into effect and the Employment Standards Act, 2000 was amended. Employers must provide employees with up to three days of paid infectious disease emergency leave if they miss work for certain reasons related to COVID-19. Amounts paid to an employee as a result of this program are employment income and have the same withholding requirements. For tax year 2021, report these amounts in box 14 of the T4 slip. Do not use code 77 of the T4 slip to report these amounts.
Services and information
- Reporting requirements
- Top-up amount
- The T4 slip and T5007 slip, Statement of Benefits
- Advances or loans
- Advances or loans not repaid
- Adjustment period for new workers' compensation claims
- Advances by a third party
- How to treat workers' compensation board payments under different circumstances
- Commission des normes, de l'équité, de la santé et de la sécurité au travail (CNESST)
- Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) Awards Q's & A's
Forms and Publications
- Date modified: