Notify the federal government of a death

Notify the federal government of a death

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

We know that acting as a representative for someone who has passed is hard. This page should help make the process easier.

You may have to inform several federal programs, departments or agencies, depending on the deceased person’s situation and where they lived.

It is important to report the death of a beneficiary to the federal government quickly to avoid benefit overpayments. Do this within the first 2 weeks following the death.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: