Complaints we review
We review complaints about the quality of service you received from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). We also look at service issues that can affect more than one person, or a segment of the population.
We will not examine a service complaint until CRA Service Feedback has finished its review, unless your situation is compelling.
Is your situation compelling?
We generally consider situations compelling if, waiting for the CRA Service Feedback to finish its review will:
- limit you from having the basic necessities of life
- limit your business from operating
- significantly impact your mental health and/or reputation
Examples of issues we review
- undue delays
- see service standards for the CRA’s processing times
- information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or unclear
- availability and access to services and information
- an action or inaction that impacted the service you received
- fairness in procedures
- employee behaviour
- lost, misplaced, or damaged documents, or documents not taken into consideration
- issues authorizing your representative
The Order in Council and the Minister of National Revenue set limitations on what we can review.
Examples of issues we can't review
- the service you received is from another federal department or agency
- a decision of, proceeding in, or issue before, a court
- a service issue that happened before May 24, 2006
- an administrative interpretation by the CRA
- the administration or enforcement of program legislation, unless the review relates to a service issue
- issues that other offices (such as the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages) may review
- complaints that have been addressed by, or are ongoing with, the Minister of National Revenue, Commissioner, or Deputy Commissioner
- alleged reprisal from filing a:
- service complaint about the CRA
- formal review of a CRA decision
- results of an investigation by the CRA's Internal Affairs and Fraud Control Division
To obtain general information on all Government of Canada programs, services, and initiatives contact 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232).
- Date modified: