Ships’ Officers (SO) Group Definition
Pursuant to section 101 of the Public Service Reform Act, the Treasury Board of Canada hereby provides notice that the following definition shall apply to the Ships’ Officers Group effective .
The Ships’ Officers Group comprises positions that are primarily involved in the on-board command and control of the operation of civilian vessels requiring a certificate of competency; the operation of floating plants; the operation and maintenance of radio equipment installed on vessels engaged in marine operations; and the instruction of Nautical Sciences and Marine Engineering at the Canadian Coast Guard College.
Notwithstanding the generality of the foregoing, for greater certainty, it includes positions that have, as their primary purpose, responsibility for one or more of the following activities:
- the on-board command and control of deck, engine room, electronic or electrical, radio or supply operations on board civilian vessels, floating plants or submersibles on a continuous or relief basis;
- the training and preparation for continuing employment as a Ships’ Officer;
- the piloting of military vessels in and about a harbour;
- the instruction of cadets or other officers undergoing training in the knowledge and skills related to the officer activities referred to above; and
- the performance of related activities on a rotational basis between ship and shore.
Positions excluded from the Ships’ Officers Group are those whose primary purpose is included in the definition of any other group or those in which one or more of the following activities is of primary importance:
- the operation and servicing of vessels, floating plants and associated equipment in a capacity that does not require a certificate of competency unless the activities performed are as specified in the above inclusions and the position is designated as Dredgemaster, Electronic Officer, Submersible Officer, Assistant Watchkeeping Officer or Engineer or Mate on a towed dredge; and
- the operation and servicing of vessels, floating plants and associated equipment that requires a certificate of competency other than a certificate of competency to take charge of a watch or be in a position designated as Electrical Officer or Officer of the Supply or Logistics Departments.
Ships’ Officers – Floating Plant (SO-FLP) Sub-group Definition
Positions included in this sub-group are those that meet the group definition and perform their duties on:
- vessels equipped to carry out one or more of the following tasks: dredge surveys, marine excavations, dredging, snagging, underwater drilling, removal of underwater obstructions, or the alteration, repair or removal of marine structures such as wharves, piers or breakwaters;
- vessels equipped as floating cranes or derricks;
- vessels whose primary function is to provide electrical power to other vessels;
- vessels whose primary function is to flush and clean tanks and bilges;
- vessels equipped to assist in the degaussing of other vessels;
- vessels such as tugs, where the primary function is to provide service to floating plant.
Ships’ Officers – Instructor (SO-INS) Sub-group Definition
Positions included in this sub-group are those that meet the group definition and are located in the departments of Nautical Sciences and Marine Engineering at the Canadian Coast Guard College.
Ships’ Officers – Marine Operations (SO-MAO) Sub-group Definition
Positions included in this sub-group are those that meet the group definition and are located on vessels engaged in operations other than those described in other sub-groups.
Ships’ Officers – Radio (SO-RAD) Sub-group Definition
Positions included in this sub-group are those that meet the group definition and have the primary responsibility for the operation and maintenance of radio equipment installed on vessels engaged in marine operations.
Job Evaluation Standard
Ships’ Officers (SO) Job Evaluation Standard
To obtain a copy of the SO Job Evaluation Standard please contact TBS Public Enquiries.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: