Annual Update to the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive
Appendices A, B, C, I, K-1, K-2 and LCD Survey Results for Alberta Region
To: Functional Heads of Administration, Human Resources, and Financial Services
CC: Chairs and Executive Directors of Northern Federal Regional Councils, Departmental Designated Coordinators for the IPGHD and Committee members of the NJC IPGHD (for information)
Please distribute this notice and the amended appendices of the National Joint Council (NJC) Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive (IPGHD) to employees at your headquarters and regional offices who are involved in the administration of the allowances.
The purpose of this notice is to provide you with the approved updates to the NJC IPGHD. The changes in Appendices B, C, I, K1 and K2 are effective and will be administered in accordance with section 2.9.2 of the IPGHD.
These changes were arrived at following consultations within the NJC IPGH Committee and are in accordance with the approved methodologies. The NJC IPGHD has been amended to reflect these changes:
- The Environment Allowance rates, Appendix B, have been increased effective .
- The Living Cost Differential rates, Appendix C, have been adjusted effective .
- The Shelter Cost Differential rates, Appendices K-1 and K-2, have been adjusted effective .
- The Meals or Rations rates, Appendix I, have been adjusted effective .
- As a result of a survey conducted by Statistics Canada in , the living cost differential (LCD) levels, Appendix A, of a number of locations in Alberta have been revised. These changes are effective for Isolated Posts that had a classification increase in the LCD level as per 2.11.2 of the NJC IPGHD.
Please note that for the ten (10) locations for which the LCD decreased, notification must be provided to employees. The effective date of the change will be the first day of the fourth calendar month after the month in which written notification was received by the employee as per 2.12.4 a) of the NJC IPGHD. An email message is acceptable to provide such notification.
A total of seventeen (17) isolated posts were involved in this review and the results can be summarized as follows:
|Posts with no change||
|Posts with one level decrease||
Details regarding the methodology can be found in the Guide to National Joint Council Rates and Allowances.
No pay action should be taken to implement the revisions to Appendices B, C, I and K of the IPGHD until further instructions are received from the applicable pay office of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Any retroactive payments resulting from the above changes are to be administered in the same manner as retroactive increases to employees' pay.
Any questions from employees and regional staff should be directed to the appropriate Designated Departmental IPGHD Coordinator who, as required, can contact the appropriate officers at the Treasury Board Secretariat.
Union Engagement and National Joint Council support
Compensation and Labour Relations Sector
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer
- Date modified: