Leave Codes for Leave for Traditional Indigenous Practices: Update

Date: March 26, 2024

To: Heads of Human Resources Directors / Chiefs of Labour Relations and Compensation, and Public Service Pay Centre


The purpose of this Information Bulletin is to provide departments and organizations of the core public administration with updated instructions on how to record the use of Leave for Traditional Indigenous Practices. Additional information on what could constitute a traditional Indigenous practice is also included in this update.

Updated instructions to record Leave for Traditional Indigenous Practices

This Information Bulletin follows up on the previous Information Bulletin sent to departments and organizations on November 23, 2023. At that time, departments and organizations were provided direction on how to record Leave for Indigenous Practices while waiting for new leave codes to be implemented.

As of April 1, 2024, departments and organizations are required to use the Leave with Pay code 652 and the Leave without Pay code 970 to record the use of this leave in their human resources (HR) system.

Departments and organizations are not required to retroactively record the use of the leave in HR systems for periods of leave that were taken prior to April 1, 2024.

Regarding leave without pay, departments and organizations are asked to continue to record the leave directly in Phoenix using the interim code “LSA – LWOP Authorized” while a specific Phoenix time reporting code is being developed.

Traditional Indigenous Practices

Current collective agreement and terms and conditions of employment provisions on Leave for Traditional Indigenous Practices expressly refer to land-based activities such as hunting, fishing and harvesting. However, these provisions are not meant to be an exhaustive list. Other examples of traditional Indigenous practices could include traditional cultural or religious ceremonies, Indigenous language training, festivals, gatherings, and community events.

Departments and organizations must continue to refer to the applicable collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment language regarding eligibility criteria.

Any questions regarding the above should be directed to your organization’s Corporate Labour Relations or Corporate Compensation representatives, who, if required, will direct their questions to the interpretations team within the Employee Relations and Total Compensation Sector using the designated form.

Original signed by

Stephen Diotte

Chief Negotiator and Executive Director
Strategic Compensation Management
Employee Relations and Total Compensation
Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer

Page details

Date modified: