New Vacation Leave Credits
The purpose of this bulletin is to advise departments on the implementation of the one-time entitlement to vacation leave credits that was negotiated in the four (4) Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) collective agreements.
Employees subject to these collective agreements, with over two years of service will be granted thirty-seven decimal five (37.5) or forty (40) hours of vacation leave, according to the provisions of the relevant collective agreement. All other employees will be granted these additional credits following their second anniversary of service.
This new vacation leave credits are excluded from the application of the clause on Carry-Over and/or Liquidation of Vacation Leave Credits. This is to allow employees to carry the unused vacation leave credits over into the next fiscal years. However, all other provisions concerning vacation leave are applicable.
New leave codes have been created, as these credits are to be administered and tracked separately from other vacation leave credits.
Please find attached a document with frequently asked Q&A's that could be used as a working tool.
Departmental Compensation and Staff Relations Managers should direct any questions that they may have to the appropriate departmental corporate official who, if need be, can contact the appropriate officers at the Treasury Board Secretariat.
Original signed by
Labour Relations Sector
New Vacation Leave (37.5 or 40 hours)
1. Who is entitled to the one-time vacation leave entitlement?
A. Employees of the following collective agreements, who have over two years of service, are entitled to this new leave:
- Education and Library Science (EB)
- Program and Administrative Services (PA)
- Operational Services (SV)
- Technical Services (TC)
2. What is the effective date of these new vacation leave credits?
A. Employees in the bargaining unit with two or more years of continuous/discontinuous service will be credited the benefit on the date of signing of the collective agreement. Employees with two or more years of continuous/discontinous service joining the bargaining unit after the date of signature shall be credited the benefit, provided it was not already received under another collective agreement.
3. What about employees with less than two years of service?
A. Employees will be credited with the vacation leave credits on the first day of the month following their second (2nd) anniversary of service, either continuous/discontinuous as defined in:
- EB collective agreement clause 20.03 (a)
- PA collective agreement clause 34.03 (a)
- SV collective agreement clause 35.03 (a)
- TC collective agreement clause 38.02 (h)
4. Can we carry over into the next fiscal year the unused credits of this one-time vacation leave entitlement?
A. Yes. These vacation leave credits are excluded from the application of the clause on the Carry-Over and/or Liquidation of Vacation Leave Credits. This is to allow employees to carry the unused vacation leave credits over into the next fiscal years.
5. Will the one-time vacation leave credits become part of the regular vacation leave credits?
A. No. The one-time vacation leave credits must be kept separately for tracking purposes.
6. When will an employee rejoining the Public Service (as defined in the collective agreement) with prior service of less than two years become entitled to this new vacation leave benefit?
A. The entitlement is based on continuous/discontinuous service. Therefore the prior period of service in the Public Service will count towards the calculation of the two-year period requirement in order to be entitled to the one-time vacation leave benefit.
7. When an employee leaves the Public Service and has been granted the one-time vacation leave credits and the employee is re-appointed in the Public Service will he/she be entitled to another special vacation leave?
A. No, as this is a one-time benefit.
8. Can these vacation leave credits be paid in cash?
A. At the employee's request, with the employer's approval, the one-time vacation leave credits may be cashed out if the provisions of the collective agreement are met or if unused, it will be cashed out on termination.
9. Can these vacation leave credits be used in multiple periods?
A. Yes, these vacation leave credits will be granted in the same manner as regular vacation leave credits are granted.
10. Are these vacation leave credits pro-rated for part-time employees?
A. Yes, this benefit is pro-rated in the same manner as regular vacation leave credits are pro-rated.
11. How is the entitlement determined when an employee counts periods of full time and part-time service?
A. The entitlement is credited based on the employee's status on the date the employee meets the requirements of the collective agreement.
12. Will a period of leave without pay impact on the calculation of the two-year period requirement for this one-time vacation leave benefit?
A. Yes, as stipulated in the relevant collective agreement, certain types of leave without pay may have an impact on the calculation of service for vacation leave purposes.
13. If an employee changes from one bargaining agent to another (i.e. PSAC to PIPSC), will the employee maintain the one-time vacation leave credits?
14. Will the benefit be adjusted for employees that have received a lesser benefit under another collective agreement?
A. No, employees joining the bargaining unit that have received a lesser benefit under another collective agreement shall not have the benefit adjusted. It is credited only once on the date the employee meets the requirements of his/her collective agreement. (Revised)
15. Are employees acting in one of the PSAC groups entitled to the benefit?
A. Employees in acting situations meeting the requirements of the collective agreement will be entitled to the benefit.
- Date modified: