Student rates of pay – Effective May 1, 2017
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
1. Rates of Pay for Secondary School Students
|Academic level||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4|
Application of 2017 rates of pay for secondary school students:
- Students may be paid at any step above the minimum rate in the following circumstances:
- 1.1 When the students are re-employed (as defined by the Public Service Commission for the purpose of recruitment and referral of students);
- 1.2 When the students have relevant previous work experience;
- 1.3 When there is a shortage of students in the field of study required.
Managers should be mindful of the need for equity and consistency in recommending a pay rate for secondary school students.
- For assignments requiring secondary school education, managers may offer the assignment to post-secondary students and pay them the secondary school rate of pay only when secondary school students are not available.
2. Research Affiliate Program
Since , deputy heads are authorized to set a stipend or a bursary in lieu of a salary. The stipend should reflect the corresponding hourly, weekly or monthly rate established for other post-secondary students for their completed years in their current field of study. The bursaries are paid through installments.
3. Rates of Pay for Post-secondary School Students
|Academic Levels||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4||Step 5||Step 6||Step 7||Step 8|
|College / CEGEP
Application of 2017 rates of pay for post-secondary students:
- Rates of pay are determined at the initial appointment or reappointment stage and are based on the student's current academic level.
- Since , the rates of pay are not directly related to the number of years of study. Organizations have delegated authority to offer students a salary within a salary range for a particular academic level. It is recommended, however, that departments ensure uniformity in student rates of pay within the organization.
- The rates of pay are designed to provide managers with a certain amount of flexibility, which means that managers can pay the students at any step above the minimum rate, under the following circumstances:
- 3.1 When the students are re-employed (as defined by the Public Service Commission for the purpose of recruitment and referral of students);
- 3.2 When the students have relevant previous work experience;
- 3.3 When the students have completed more than one (1) year of study in their present academic program;
- 3.4 When there is a shortage of students in the field of study required;
- 3.5 When the students are undergoing a second college or university undergraduate degree;
- 3.6 When a university degree or year of study is required as a prerequisite for another program, such as a bachelor of law, education, medicine, pharmacy or veterinary sciences program.
- The rate of pay selected should allow for a meaningful progression in the salary range on subsequent assignments.
- Students enrolled at a university in a pre-university year are to be remunerated at the college/CEGEP level.
- Students who:
- have completed a university degree, and
- continue their studies at a college in a related field of study
4. Student Rates of Pay for Departmental Programs
Vimy Guide Program (Veterans Affairs Canada)
|Assignment||Academic Levels/Hourly Rates|
|Guides||University Undergraduate Step 2 $14.43|
|Guides (Call-back)||University Undergraduate Step 3 $15.42|
|Senior Guides||University Undergraduate Step 4 $16.49|
In-shore Rescue Program (Fisheries and Oceans)
|Assignment||Academic Levels/Hourly Rates|
|Crew||University Undergraduate Step 3 $15.42|
|Coxswain||University Undergraduate Step 7 $20.19|
5. Provincial or Territorial Minimum Wages
If the applicable provincial or territorial minimum wage amount is higher than the current maximum offered for the corresponding academic level of the student, the provincial or territorial minimum wage rate is to be applied.
- Date modified: