Change in process: Implementation of Certified Mail for the Disability Insurance (DI) Plan
To: Heads of Human Resources, Compensation Managers and Participating Separate Employers
The purpose of this Notice is to provide information regarding a change in the way electronic mail is sent from Sun Life, as the insurer of the Disability Insurance (DI) Plan, to compensation managers and employers.
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat Pensions and Benefits Sector in collaboration with Sun Life have been exploring options to securely transfer member information.
Sun Life's "secure messaging" Website using "Certified Mail" was approved as the solution and Sun Life has begun using the Secure Messaging Website when sending email to compensation advisors.
What is Certified Mail?
Certified Mail is a tool that allows Sun Life to exchange emails with external contacts without information being disseminated over the internet. To access a Certified Mail email message, the recipient will require a password which will allow them to view the message from a secure location within the Sun Life firewall.
Why use Certified Mail?
Sun Life as the insurer of the Disability Insurance Plan must exercise due diligence in the protection and security of personal and business information.
Certified Mail provides an extra layer of security to emails that are exchanged as private or confidential, such as information related to an employee's health or employment status.
Certified Mail uses a secure connection. Compensation advisors must use a password to access messages from a secure location within the Sun Life firewall.
How to read Certified Mail emails
- When your Sun Life (SL) contact sends a Certified Mail email, it will appear as a regular email in your inbox.
- The body of the email will indicate that your SL contact has sent you a Certified Mail message and it provides instructions on how to access the message.
- If you are a first time user, after clicking the link in the email, you will enter the Secure Message Pickup screen where you will be asked to create a password. Once you have entered your password, click on the 'Next' button.
- Once you click on the 'Next' button, you will get to your Secure Message Center, where you can click "Inbox" to view the email.
- Click on the email subject to open it.
- As soon as you open your Certified Mail email, your SL contact will receive a confirmation that you have opened their email.
- After 90 days, the message will be deleted from your Certified Mail account.
How to send Certified Mail emails
To send Certified Mail emails to your SL contact:
Your SL contact must first send you an email through Certified Mail. Once you receive the Certified Mail email from your SL contact, you must complete the registration process to open your Certified Mail account.
You can only use Certified Mail to send emails to addresses with the following domain names: @sunlife.com, @clarica.com, @sunlife.ca
- Once your Certified Mail account has been set up, you can access it via https://webmail.sunlife.com. It is recommended that you mark this as a Favourite in your internet browser.
- Once you access the Login screen you will be asked to enter your User ID (email address) and Password.
- Once you access your Certified Mail Center, click on "Compose" from the top navigation bar.
- Compose your message and click "Send Secure". Do not enter anything in the "Show Options" section.
- You can view the email by accessing "Track Sent" from your Certified Mail account.
- After 90 days, your email will be deleted from the Certified Mail account.
Important Information about your Certified Mail Account
Your Certified Mail account is not the place to store emails you receive from your SL contact.
- There is a size limit of 200 MB.
- Emails remain in your account for just 90 days.
Certified Mail will begin deleting emails from your account once you've reached the 200 MB size limit or if an email is older than 90 days, whichever comes first.
The oldest emails will be deleted first.
Any enquiries regarding "Certified Mail" can be directed to your Sun Life contact or send an email to Contact Sun Life by E-mail email@example.com
All other Inquiries can be directed to the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, Pensions and Benefits Sector at Contact Pensions and Benefits Sector by E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant Deputy Minister
Pensions and Benefits Sector
- Date modified: