Reprisal protection process

The Public Servants Disclosure Protection Act (PSDPA) contains strong measures to protect from reprisal employees that report serious wrongdoing.

  • What is reprisal?

    Reprisal can include any disciplinary measures such as demotion, termination of employment or any actions or threats that adversely affect your working conditions.

  • Where can I make a reprisal complaint?

    Under the PSDPA, reprisal complaints can only be made to the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner of Canada. A complaint must be filed within 60 days of the day the reprisal is believed to have taken place.

    Alternatively, you can choose to deal with the matter through the grievance process or through another recourse process that applies.

  • What happens after I make a complaint to the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner?

    The Public Sector Integrity Commissioner must decide whether or not to deal with a complaint within 15 days after it is filed. If the Integrity Commissioner decides to deal with a complaint, he or she will designate an investigator. The Public Sector Integrity Commissioner will then inform the complainant, in writing, of his or her decision.

  • What happens if there is an investigation?

    Based on the findings of an investigation, the Integrity Commissioner has many options. He or she can dismiss the complaint, appoint a conciliator to attempt to bring about a settlement, or refer the matter to the Public Servants Disclosure Protection Tribunal. The Tribunal can order corrective action, including reinstatement, compensation for the complainant or disciplinary action against those found to have taken the reprisal action.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: