Need assistance?

Women and Gender Equality Canada is not able to answer any legal questions or offer assistance to individuals in legal matters. If you have not already done so, please contact your lawyer, legal aid, local women's crisis centre or the police for more information about services within your community.

Abusive relationships

If you are in an emergency situation please access 9-1-1 (in Canada), for emergency services in your area.

If you are outside the 9-1-1 service area, please access available emergency services in your area.

The Gender-Based Violence Knowledge Centre has various resources for those who are affected by gender-based violence. You may also consult Public Health Agency of Canada’s website is a national resource centre for information about family violence.

Child custody and divorce

The Department of Justice Canada provides some resources for parents on the Divorce Act and other issues related to post-separation parenting arrangements.

Parental and maternity benefits

The Employment and Social Development Canada is responsible for maternity/parental benefits. For further information, please visit their Web site. If you are a resident of Quebec, see Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale.

For various social and economic benefit and incentive programs delivered through the tax system, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency.

Immigration issues

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is Canada's official source of immigration and citizenship information.

International organizations looking for help

The Global Affairs Canada is the federal government department dealing with international development, foreign aid and development cooperation.

Discrimination and harassment

The Canadian Human Rights Commission administers both the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Employment Equity Act, and ensures that the principles of equal opportunity and non-discrimination are followed in all areas of federal jurisdiction.

Funding to start a small business

Women and Gender Equality Canada does not provide funding to start small businesses. In order to better assist you, please visit Business and industry.

Page details

Date modified: