Frequently Asked Questions

GCWCC National Auction

What is the GCWCC National Auction?
This is a National level auction which will take place online as part of the Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign (GCWCC). All proceeds will help support HealthPartners and United Way Centraide.
How long will the auction run?

The GCWCC National Auction takes place from Monday, November 23 at 10:00 a.m. (EST) and closes on Friday, December 4 at 8:00 p.m. (EST). 

Can my department still host its own auction?

Yes, in an effort not to impede on departmental level auctions, the GCWCC Co-chairs have challenged their deputy colleagues to contribute art either purchased or created by them. This will allow departments to obtain their items from similar donors as previous years.

How can I participate in this event?

The GCWCC National Auction is paperless and will make checkout quick and easy!

Text GCWCC or CCMTGC to +1 (819) 201-1913 and follow the instructions in the response. You will receive a link via text that will take you to the sign in page for the auction. Sign-up and have a blast checking out all the amazing items we have lined up.

Alternatively, participants can also register online at However, we encourage all employees to register for the via text as it is the simplest way to participate. 

Where can I find more information about rules and regulations?

Please visit the National Auction webpage for more information about the rules and regulations. 

I am having technical issues, who can I contact?

For technical support, please send an e-mail to with a description of the issue and a phone number where you can be contacted. We will respond as quickly as possible and will call during business hours (Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST).

Will the contributions go towards my Department/Agency campaign targets? 

Yes, funds raised will be attributed back to departmental targets. As this is a national event, contributions will be split 50/50 between the department who donated the item and the winning bidder’s department.

If I am the winning bidder, how will I receive my item?

You will be contacted by one of our campaign representatives to obtain your shipping address. Shipping costs have been incorporated into the starting bid price for the item and you will not need to incur further costs.  

Will I receive a tax receipt for this event?

No, donations for the auction do not qualify for tax receipts. 

Which browser should I use if participating online?

If you are participating using your computer, it is recommended you use Google Chrome. 

Can I participate using both phone and web browser?

No. The platform only allows you to participate via web or phone. Once you’ve registered through either of those, you will need to continue your participation through that platform.

General Charitable Campaign Questions

What is the Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign (GCWCC)?
  • The Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign (GCWCC) engages federal public service employees and retirees in a combined effort to raise funds and donate time for those in need.
  • It is the largest and most generous workplace campaign in Canada and takes place annually between September and December. In 2018, employees and retirees donated $29.8 million. Of that total, $14.6 million was raised in the National Capital Region and $15.2 million was raised in the regions.
  • Through the GCWCC, federal public servants and retirees as well as current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces and the RCMP can support HealthPartners, United Way Centraide or any other registered Canadian charities.
Why does the GCWCC matter?
  • In 2018, the campaign helped more than 5,600 charities in over 90 communities across the country deliver critical care and services that are making a difference in the lives of the most vulnerable Canadians.
  • Donations ensured that:
    • Canadians had the tools to cope with disabling and life-threatening diseases;
    • Families were able to access food banks and emergency shelters;
    • After-school programs were able to continue so children could have a safe place to learn, play and grow; and
    • Seniors were able to stay in their homes and communities longer.
  • Supporting charities is a personal choice, so you can donate to the causes you care about most.
How many registered charities are there in Canada?

According to Canada Revenue Agency, there are over 85,000 registered charitable organizations to choose from.

In 2018, the campaign helped more than 5,600 charities in over 90 communities across the country delivery critical care and services that are making a difference in the lives of the most vulnerable Canadians.

How can I donate?
  • Donations can be made via payroll deductions, cash, cheque, credit card or PayPal. Use ePledge to make your donation.
What is ePledge?
  • ePledge is an online tool that provides you with a fast, easy and secure way to donate.
  • It is important to note that ePledge and Phoenix are not linked.
  • ePledge allows you to give a one-time or monthly credit card donation, or a one‑time PayPal donation, or divide your donation across a year’s worth of pay cheques by using payroll deduction.
Are there tax benefits to donating?
  • Your donation is tax deductible. To determine the value of the tax deduction for donations, use the charitable donation tax credit calculator.
  • Charitable donations made using payroll deduction are noted on your annual T4 slip.
  • Electronic receipts are provided for one-time donations made by credit card or PayPal via ePledge.
  • All those who make a charitable donation above $20 will automatically receive a tax receipt, issued by the GCWCC Manager, United Way Centraide. Those giving under $20 may receive a receipt upon request.
Do I need to support a specific charity?
  • It is your choice to direct your support to one or as many causes as you care about.
  • Federal public servants and retirees can choose any registered Canadian charity.
What is the overhead cost of fundraising?
  • The average national cost of fundraising and administration for the GCWCC is 15%. Depending on the region, administration costs may vary. For more information, contact the local United Way Centraide.
  • According to Charity Intelligence (CI), a Canadian charitable sector expert, fundraising/administrative fees below 35% (65 cents on the dollar going to the cause) are considered to be within a reasonable range based on the hard costs associated to fundraising, processing, receipting, reporting and auditing requirements.
Are public service managers compensated for achieving their charitable campaign targets?
  • GCWCC champions, leaders, volunteers and executives do not receive financial incentives for achieving the GCWCC targets.
Can I continue to support the charitable campaign when I retire?
  • Yes. Every year, federal retirees across the country receive an invitation in the mail to participate in the GCWCC. The invitation includes a GCWCC gift form. If you would like to receive your invitation by email, send an email to
  • If you currently support the GCWCC through payroll deduction, you can continue to give after you retire. 
  • There are three simple ways to make your donation:

Pay-Related Questions

Could this year’s campaign be affected by the Phoenix pay issues?
  • Phoenix has been deducting charitable contributions through the payroll system without any problems since its implementation in February 2016.
  • Specific measures were taken to ensure that Phoenix would be able to successfully process the correct amount of charitable donations from employees’ pay when they choose to make payroll donations.
  • Campaign ambassadors are aware of the various methods of payment available to donors including cash, cheque, credit card, PayPal and payroll deduction.
Can I donate by automatic bank withdrawals as an alternative to payroll deduction?
  • The banking platform does not enable Pre-Authorized Debit transactions.
Can I change my payroll deduction method of payment to another option?
  • You may change your method of payment and your pledge within one month of the start of the deductions. Contact the GCWCC team for information.
If I experience an issue with my pay, can I stop my charitable campaign payroll deductions?
  • Donations can be stopped at any time. Contact the GCWCC team for information.
For More Information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: