Interim Applications for time-limited funding under Sections 8 and 9 of the Indigenous Languages Act
The Interim Applications for time-limited funding under Sections 8 and 9 of the Indigenous Languages Act (the Act) will reinforce the Government of Canada’s commitment to fully implement the Act.
Status: The 2023-2025 application period is now open
The call for Interim Applications for time-limited funding under Sections 8 and 9 of the Act, developed in partnership with the Assembly of First Nations, is intended to support:
- First Nations efforts in addressing the priorities they have identified to reclaim, revitalize, maintain and strengthen First Nations languages
- First Nations governed initiatives in collaboration with federal departments and agencies, and other First Nations, provincial or territorial governments as desired and appropriate (this may include purposes such as providing First Nation language programs and services in relation to education, health and the administration of justice, or furthering the purposes of the Act)
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding, you must be a First Nation organization within Canada. “First Nation organization”, refers to an organization that is owned and controlled by First Nation persons, including a First Nation-owned corporation or a First Nation controlled non-profit organization, that directly delivers language revitalization services or that otherwise supports the delivery of language revitalization services.
Eligible applicant may also include any:
- First Nation government and equivalent organization, and its delegated authorities
- First Nation institution including accredited programs
- First Nation not-for-profit organization
- First Nation for profit organization, provided that the workplan activities for which you are requesting funding will not result in income generation for your sole benefit
- First Nations ad hoc groups that has formed to do a specific work plan
How to apply
First Nation applicants applying to the Department of Canadian Heritage are required to:
- read the Interim Application Guidelines in its entirety for time-limited funding under Sections 8 and 9 of the Act
- contact the Department of Canadian Heritage to request an application package and submit the required documentation.
For further information:
Indigenous Languages and Cultures Program
Department of Canadian Heritage
15 Eddy Street (15-8-E)
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B3
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (ET).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines — Interim Applications for time-limited funding under Sections 8 and 9 of the Indigenous Languages Act
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support - Canadian Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: