Support for Booksellers – Canada Book Fund
Support for Booksellers (SFB) is a 2 year program component of the Canada Book Fund (CBF) that will provide support in 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 to help Canadian booksellers increase their online sales for Canadian-authored books and improve their business model for online sales.
Update: The application intake for 2022-2023 funding is now closed.
Eligible industry organizations can also apply for funding for collective projects aimed at supporting and strengthening online sales of Canadian books through a special call under the Support for Organizations component of the program. A continuous intake is ongoing for single-year collective projects starting in 2023-2024.
To learn more about who can apply for funding under this new initiative, see the Booksellers Initiative - Support for Organizations component of the CBF.
Who can apply
The SFB component of the CBF supports individual Canadian booksellers or affiliated groups of booksellers. It provides funding for eligible expenses related to the sale of new print books online. This funding is allocated based on past sales of Canadian-authored books.
At the time of application and through to the end of your funding agreement with us, a bookseller must meet all of the following requirements:
- be at least 75% owned and controlled by Canadians
- have its headquarters and at least 75% of its employees based in Canada
- specialize in the sale of new print books to the public
- sell Canadian-authored print books
- have a physical retail store that is open to the public
- have been in operation since at least January 1, 2019
- sell books by a minimum of 25 publishers
- have eligible total book sales of $50,000 between January 1 and December 31, 2019
- sell new print books online to the public through a transactional website at the time the application is submitted
Further information on program eligibility can be found in the Application Guidelines. This includes potential exceptions for booksellers owned by or serving members of priority communities.
The following organizations are not eligible for support:
- booksellers that exclusively sell used books, discounted books or digital books
- booksellers that do not sell any Canadian-authored titles
- events like festivals and salons du livre
The application intake for 2022-2023 funding is now closed. If you would like the program to contact you when the application intake for 2023-2024 is launched, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. New!
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- review the Application Guidelines — Support for Booksellers in their entirety
- contact the program to obtain an application form
You need to submit a complete application package to be considered for funding. Please review the Application Guidelines for a checklist of required documents.
Please send your application by email. We are not able to accept applications by mail at this time.
- Canada Book Fund
Department of Canadian Heritage
25 Eddy St 25-8-T
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm (ET).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines — Support for Booksellers
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support — Canadian Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: