Local Festivals – Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage
Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage – Local Festivals component provides funding to local groups for recurring festivals that present the work of local artists, artisans or heritage performers. This includes the celebration of LGBTQ2+ communities and Indigenous cultural celebrations.
News: The Government of Canada is proud to announce an increased investment of $14 million over two years to the Local Festivals component. Each year, the festivals funded by the program showcase thousands of local artisans and artists. These creators play an important role in linking our social fabric, economic growth and the vitality of our communities.
In this case, additional funds, announced in the 2019 federal budget, will be provided to a majority of the component recipients. The organizations do not need to submit a new application to receive these funds. Contact us for more information .
Who can apply
Eligible applicants must represent one of the following community-based groups:
- a local non-profit organization or group;
- a local band council, local tribal council or other local Aboriginal government or organization (First Nations, Inuit or Métis).
In addition, applicants must:
- encourage local community engagement through activities that promote, celebrate and preserve local performing and visual arts or local heritage; and
- have successfully organized a prior edition of the festival, within the last two years, that met all eligibility requirements of this component.
Eligible projects and events
Successful applicants may receive up to 100 per cent of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $200,000 for festivals that:
- present the work of local artists, artisans, or heritage performers;
- actively involve members of the local community; and
- are intended for and accessible to the general public.
When an application deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, it is extended to the following working day.
- January 31 – for festivals starting between September 1 and December 31
- April 30 – for festivals starting between January 1 and June 30
- September 30 – for festivals starting between July 1 and August 31
ImportantApplications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. (Eastern time).
How to apply
Should you be unable to access the new online system or apply online for any reason, please contact our support team.
Contact our support team
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: