Local Festivals – Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage
Supporting Arts and Live Events Workers in Response to COVID-19
The Government of Canada is putting measures in place to support the sectors that have been the hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, including live arts and music sectors.
Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage – Local Festivals component provides funding to local groups for recurring festivals that present the work of local artists, artisans or heritage performers. This includes the celebration of LGBTQ2+ communities and Indigenous cultural celebrations.
Who can apply
Eligible applicants must represent one of the following community-based groups:
- a local non-profit organization or group;
- a local band council, local tribal council or other local Aboriginal government or organization (First Nations, Inuit or Métis).
In addition, applicants must:
- encourage local community engagement through activities that promote, celebrate and preserve local performing and visual arts or local heritage; and
- have successfully organized a prior edition of the festival, within the last two years, that met all eligibility requirements of this component.
Eligible projects and events
Successful applicants may receive up to 100 per cent of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $200,000 for festivals that:
- present the work of local artists, artisans, or heritage performers;
- actively involve members of the local community; and
- are intended for and accessible to the general public.
When an application deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, it is extended to the following working day.
- January 31 – for festivals starting between September 1 and December 31
- April 30 – for festivals starting between January 1 and June 30
- October 15 – for festivals starting between July 1 and August 31
Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. (Eastern time).
How to apply
- Review the Guidelines for local festivals component before completing your application.
- Create or access your Canadian Heritage account and apply online.
- Access the mandatory forms, available under the section Guides and help, and submit them with your funding application.
Create an account in the system
Should you be unable to access the new online system or apply online for any reason, please contact our support team.
Contact our support team
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: