Legacy Fund – Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage
Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage - Legacy Fund component provides funding for community-initiated capital projects, intended for community use. Recipients may receive up to 50 per cent of eligible project expenses up to a maximum of $500,000.
Who can apply
Eligible organizations must have been in existence for at least two years and plan to continue operating after the project’s completion. They include:
- local incorporated non-profit organizations;
- local band councils, tribal councils or other local Aboriginal government and organizations (First Nations, Inuit or Métis);
- municipal administrations and their agencies, boards and commissions that demonstrate an active partnership with at least one community-based group for the purposes of the proposed project.
Funding supports community-initiated capital projects that:
- commemorate a significant local historical event or pay tribute to a significant local historical personality;
- mark a 100th anniversary or greater, in increments of 25 years (e.g., 125th, 150th) or commemorate the 75th anniversary of locally significant events directly related to the Canadian participation in World War II;
- involve the restoration, renovation, or transformation of existing buildings or exterior spaces with local community significance that are intended for community use;
- encourage arts and heritage activities in the local community that are intended for and accessible to the general public.
Projects must be submitted before the anniversary date of the event or personality to be commemorated.
How to apply
- Review the Legacy Fund Guide (PDF version, 756 KB).
- Complete and submit the following three documents:
- Contact the Department of Canadian Heritage to obtain a Cashflow template (which must also be submitted with your application package).
Department of Canadian Heritage
Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage
15 Eddy Street, 8th Floor
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
- Legacy Fund Guide (PDF version, 756 KB)
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act Exclusion Questionnaire (PDF version, 288 KB)
- Legacy Fund Application Form (PDF version, 352 KB)
- Legacy Fund Budget (PDF version, 184 KB)
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support - Canadian Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: