Business Innovation – Canada Periodical Fund
The Business Innovation component of the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF) provides financial support to eligible small and mid-sized printed magazine and digital periodical publishers. This component of the CPF encourages innovation to adapt to changing market conditions and contributes to the diversity of content sought by Canadian readers.
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding, your publishing firm and any affiliated companies must:
- be in operation throughout the application process and until the completion of the project;
- be majority owned and controlled by Canadians;
- be private‑sector entities, including corporations, not‑for‑profit organizations, partnerships and sole proprietorships (Note: All applicants, including for start‑up projects, must have a Business Number (BN)); and
- have their principal place of business in Canada.
Print magazines only:
- The total average circulation for the magazine during the 12‑month reporting period cannot exceed 100,000 copies per issue.
Digital periodicals only:
- The maximum total revenue for any digital periodicals cannot exceed $500,000 (as declared in the application form).
Full eligibility criteria for publications is detailed in the Application Guidelines.
Business Innovation can provide up to $5,000 in start‑up funding to help aspiring or emerging publishers plan, launch or further develop a digital periodical. Eligibility criteria for the start‑up project are detailed in the Application Guidelines.
When an application deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or statutory holiday, it is extended to the following working day.
Applications for projects starting in the current fiscal year will be accepted on an ongoing basis until September 15.
You should submit your application at least eight (8) weeks before the planned project start date.
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- review the Application Guidelines carefully, including the definitions to ensure all criteria are met;
- complete the Application Form;
- provide all supporting documents, as detailed in the Application Guidelines; and
- ensure that the application form bears the applicant’s original signature.
Contact usCanada Periodical Fund
Department of Canadian Heritage
25 Eddy Street, 25‑8‑U
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Project officers are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: