Special Measures for Journalism — Canada Periodical Fund
The Special Measures for Journalism component of the Canada Periodical Fund is designed to provide short-term emergency financial relief to Canadian magazines and community newspapers during the COVID-19 crisis in 2020. The component provides funds for the 2020-2021 fiscal year to publishers that have a free circulation model or low levels of paid circulation, or that publish in digital format.
Please note that daily newspapers and magazine or community newspaper titles currently receiving Aid to Publishers — Canada Periodical Fund funding are not eligible under this new component.
Using a formula based on editorial content expenses over a 12-month period, the Special Measures for Journalism component provides funding to eligible Canadian publications. Publishers are able to use funding to support the creation of content, production, distribution, online activities or business development.
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding, publishing firms must meet all of the following requirements:
- be private-sector entities, including corporations, not-for-profit organizations, partnerships and sole proprietorships
- be majority owned and controlled by Canadians
- have their principal place of business in Canada
- have published 1 or more eligible periodicals at the application deadline
To be eligible for funding, periodicals must meet all of the following requirements:
- be published by an eligible publishing firm
- be owned and controlled by Canadians
- be a magazine or community (non-daily) newspaper, in print or digital format
- have completed at least 1 uninterrupted 12-month publishing cycle at the application deadline, and continue to be published until at least March 31, 2021
- contain an average of at least 80% Canadian editorial content in the issues published during the publisher's financial year
- contain an average of at least 50% Canadian editorial content in the issues published during the financial year, in the case of ethnocultural publications
- contain an average of at most 70% advertising in the issues published during the financial year
- contain a majority of original content
- be edited, designed, assembled and published in Canada
In addition, applicants must ensure they meet additional eligibility criteria detailed in the Application Guidelines — Special Measures for Journalism.
August 7, 2020, 5:00 p.m. (ET)
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- read the Application Guidelines in their entirety
- complete the online application form (Note: The deadline to apply for funding was August 7, 2020. This form is no longer available.)
- provide proof of the organization’s legal status (e.g. articles of incorporation)
- provide proof of signing authority
- provide a voided blank cheque or a Direct Deposit Enrollment Request form (if you have not received funding from Canadian Heritage in the last two years)
Additional information and documents such as audit circulation reports, financial statements or a copy of the periodical may be requested to determine eligibility.
- Special Measures for Journalism
Canada Periodical Fund
Department of Canadian Heritage
25-8-U-25 Eddy St
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5
- 1-866-811-0055 (toll-free)
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm (ET).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines — Special Measures for Journalism
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support – Canadian Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: