Frequently asked questions for students and graduates – Young Canada Works (YCW)

On this page

How does the Young Canada Works (YCW) program work?

YCW provides funding to delivery organizations who in turn offer grants to employers that offer jobs and internships to eligible candidates. Upon evaluation and approval, the positions are posted on the YCW website.

YCW does not hire students or graduates directly. It is the employer's responsibility to hire students or graduates for their funded position(s).

If you are selected for a position, you will be required to complete the following online forms and reports over the duration of your job or internship:

  • Candidate Eligibility Form (initiated by your employer) – To confirm your eligibility to participate. This form must be completed before you are hired by your employer.
  • Staffing Report (initiated by your employer) – To ensure that the details of your job or internship are accurate. This information must be confirmed during the first week of your job or internship.
  • End of Work Term Report – To ensure your job or internship has successfully ended. This form must be completed on your last day of work.
  • Evaluation Questionnaire – To provide feedback regarding the program. This questionnaire must be completed at the end of your employment.

Any questions about these obligations should be directed to the employer. You will find instructions for all forms and reports via your YCW account.

How do I apply and is there a deadline?

You can apply to the program by visiting the Young Canada Works (YCW) login page and clicking on the "Sign up" link. You will be required to enter contact information and details on your educational and work history. Once you have created your account, you can browse job opportunities via the "Search for a job" link in your YCW account. To express interest in a position, click on a job title and then on "Express interest in this job.”

Please note that YCW does not hire students or graduates directly. It is the employer's responsibility to hire students or graduates for their funded position(s).

There is no deadline. We recommend that you create an account and submit your candidacy before the summer.

I am a person with a disability. What are my options?

Talk to your potential employer or contact us for more information at

Can I receive Employment Insurance (EI) benefits during my YCW job or internship?

Students and interns cannot receive EI while employed under YCW.

I have participated in YCW before. Can I apply again?

  • For jobs: Yes, you may participate again. However, priority will be given to new applicants.
  • For internships: Priority will be given to candidates that have not previously participated in YCW internship programs. However, if you previously participated in a YCW job program, you may apply to the internship programs.

Can I work in a different city, province or territory?

Yes. If you wish to work in a different location other than your place of permanent residence, simply search the YCW job postings from across Canada within your YCW account. You can filter your search results by city, province or territory.

Can I get reimbursed for my transportation and accommodation costs?

Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages may cover transportation costs for students who travel more than 125 km between their primary residence and their job site. The program may also offer an allowance for housing costs incurred by a participant who has to pay rent.

Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations may cover transportation costs for students who travel more than 125 km between their primary residence and their job site.

For internships in Canada located outside the province in which the intern resides, Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage will cover transportation costs between the intern's residence and the job site.

For international internships, YCW will cover transportation and part of accommodation costs abroad.

Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage offers internships both in Canada and abroad.

Note: Applications for transportation cost refunds are made through your employer or delivery organization.

I have a different question. Who should I contact?

Who do I contact if I want my T4 or Record of Employment (ROE)?

Speak to your employer for your T4. Contact Service Canada to acquire a Record of Employment.

I need paper copies of my YCW forms/reports. Where can I get them?

Ask your employer to contact their delivery organization for paper copies of forms and reports.

I have paper copies of my YCW forms/reports. Do I need to mail these items to someone?

Send all hard copy documentation to your employer's delivery organization.

I found a glitch on the YCW website. Do you offer technical support?

Email us at

I have a general question about the YCW program.

Email us at

I want to make a suggestion/comment about the YCW program.

Email us at

Can I apply directly to YCW with my resume?

No. You must create an account to participate in YCW.

I need to quit my work assignment. What do I do?

Talk to your employer and complete the remainder of your reporting obligations (End of Work Term Report). Your employer must inform their delivery organization of your departure.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: