Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage (graduates)
Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage is an internship program for unemployed or underemployed college or university graduates. It helps graduates make the transition from college or university to the workplace, allowing them to hone their professional skills and begin a career in the heritage, arts and cultural sectors.
There are several types of internships, including:
- Internships in Canada in:
- heritage fields related to the work of a museum, archives, library or heritage site (24)
- conservation sciences (2)
- arts administration or for an arts practice project (20)
- International museology internships (up to 4)
Internships can last from four to 12 months, and interns must work 30 to 40 hours per week. Interns with a disability are eligible for part-time work in Canada only.
Who can apply
An individual may be eligible for an internship if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
- are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
There is no deadline for individuals to apply, but it is recommended that applicants create an account and submit their candidacy before the summer.
How to apply
To apply, individuals are required to:
- visit the Young Canada Works login page;
- create an account by clicking on the "Sign Up" link, then complete and submit a candidate profile;
- browse job opportunities via the "Search for a job" link in their account; and
- express their interest in a position by clicking on the job title and then on “Express interest in this job".
Individuals selected for a position will be required to complete the following online forms and reports over the duration of their internship:
- Candidate Eligibility Form (initiated by the employer) – To confirm intern eligibility to participate. This must be completed before an intern is hired by their employer.
- Staffing Report (initiated by the employer) – To ensure that the details of the internship are accurate. This information must be confirmed during the first week of the internship.
- End of Work Term Report – To ensure the internship has successfully ended. This must be completed on the intern’s last day of work.
- Evaluation Questionnaire – To provide feedback regarding the program. This must be completed at the end of the internship.
Any questions about these obligations should be directed to the employer. There are instructions for all forms and reports within the intern’s Young Canada Works (YCW) account.
Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage does not hire interns directly; it is the employer's responsibility to hire individuals for their funded position(s). Employers approved for funding can search through the candidate list and contact individuals to hold an interview. However, recent graduates are strongly encouraged to apply directly to any internship of interest to them.
Transportation and accommodation costs
For Canadian internships outside the province in which the intern resides, Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage will pay the cost of one round trip between the intern’s residence and the job site. Applications for travel assistance are made through the employer.
For international internships, Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage will cover transportation and part of accommodation costs abroad.
For questions related to internships, please contact the appropriate delivery organization.
For general questions about YCW, please contact:
- Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
- 1-800-935-5555 (toll-free)
- 1-800-926-9105 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: