Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages (students)
Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages is a short-term job program for students. It offers them the opportunity to gain work experience in which they use their first or second official language in an official language minority community and to explore career opportunities. It also offers students the chance to experience a geographic exchange and develop a network in official language minority communities.
Positions last from six to 16 weeks. Students must work 30 to 40 hours per week. Students with a disability are eligible for part-time positions.
Who can apply
A student may be eligible if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment;
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment;
- have a working knowledge of both English and French; and
- are willing to work in another region of Canada.
Note: To enable geographic mobility within the Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages program, priority will be given to students who must travel at least 125 km from their permanent residence to their place of work.
There is no deadline, however we recommend that you create an account and submit your candidacy before the summer.
How to apply
To apply, students are required to:
- visit the Young Canada Works login page;
- create an account by clicking on the "Sign Up" link, then complete and submit a candidate profile;
- browse job opportunities via the "Search for a job" link in their account; and
- express their interest in a position by clicking on the job title and then on “Express interest in this job".
Students selected for a position will be required to complete the following online forms and reports over the duration of their job:
- Candidate Eligibility Form (initiated by the employer) – To confirm student eligibility to participate. This form must be completed before a student is hired by their employer.
- Staffing Report (initiated by the employer) – To ensure that the details of the job are accurate. This information must be confirmed during the first week of work.
- End of Work Term Report – To ensure the student’s job has successfully ended. This form must be completed on the student’s last day of work.
- Evaluation Questionnaire – To provide feedback regarding the program. This questionnaire must be completed at the end of the student’s employment.
Any questions about these obligations should be directed to the employer. There are instructions for all forms and reports within the student’s YCW account.
Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages does not hire students directly; it is the employer's responsibility to hire individuals for their funded position(s). Employers approved for funding can search through the candidate list and contact students to hold an interview. However, students are strongly encouraged to apply directly to any position of interest to them.
Transportation and accommodation costs
Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages will pay the cost of one round trip between the student’s permanent residence and workplace for students who must travel at least 125 km from their permanent residence to their job site. The program also offers an allowance for housing costs incurred by a participant who has to pay rent. Students must contact the appropriate delivery organization for all travel arrangements.
For questions related to jobs, please contact the appropriate delivery organization.
For general questions about YCW, please contact:
- Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
- 1-800-935-5555 (toll-free)
- 1-800-926-9105 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: