DAOD 2001-0, Visits to the DND and the CF by Foreign Nationals
Date of Issue: 2011-01-21
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CF members).
Supersession: CFAO 61-10, Visits to the Department of National Defence and Canadian Forces by Foreign Nationals
Approval Authority: Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS)
Enquiries: Director Protocol and Foreign Liaison (DPFL)
defence establishment (établissement de défense)
Has the same meaning as in subsection 2(1) of the National Defence Act.
defence industry facility (installation de l'industrie de défense)
Any industry facility in Canada, including any factory, workshop or other place, with activities or interests related in any way to national defence.
3.1 The DND and the CAF host a large number of official visits each year by foreign military members and civilians representing foreign nations. The impression of these visitors of Canada, the DND and the CAF is formed in large part by the manner in which they are received and treated. Conducting visits in an effective, courteous and enthusiastic manner enhances the benefits that the DND and the CAF derive from visits.
3.2 This DAOD sets out the policy for visits to defence establishments and defence industry facilities.
Note – This DAOD does not apply to a visit by:
- a foreign service attaché accredited to Canada (see CFAO 4-6, Attachés);
- a NATO standardization agreement working group; or
- any person acting under a contract or memorandum of understanding.
3.3 The DND and the CAF are committed to:
- ensuring the success of all visits;
- facilitating the approval, planning, coordination and conduct of visits; and
- optimizing the use of resources necessary to support visits.
3.4 The DND and the CAF shall:
- approve visits in advance;
- coordinate visits with applicable government departments or agencies through DPFL or the applicable command visit coordinator;
- establish procedures for visit coordination; and
- evaluate the procedures and amend as necessary.
4.1 DPFL has the authority to:
- act as the central point of contact for all visits to defence establishments and defence industry facilities; and
- issue instructions on behalf of the VCDS to implement the DAOD 2001 series.
Visit Approval Authority Table
4.2 The following table identifies the persons who may approve visits to defence establishments and defence industry facilities:
|Visitor||Visit Approval Authority|
lieutenant-general or above or civilian of equivalent status
major-general or below or civilian of equivalent status
brigadier-general or below or civilian of equivalent status
a group of persons from a foreign educational institution
Note – Visit approval under this DAOD is not required for a foreign military member or civilian participating in a DND- or CAF-approved conference (see DAOD 2009-0, Conferences).
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- National Defence Act
- National Defence Security Instruction (NDSI) 44, Visits to and from DND
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: