DAOD 2011-0, Enterprise Architecture
Date of Issue: 2019-10-16
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: CANFORGEN 017/08, Promulgation of the Department of National Defence and Canadian Forces Architecture Framework (DNDAF) and the Defence Architecture Data Model (DADM)
Approval Authority: Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS)
Enquiries: Director Enterprise Architecture (DEA)
enterprise architecture (architecture d’entreprise)
The collection of strategic information that defines a DND or CAF organization, the elements of the organization and interrelationships necessary to operate the organization to achieve its objectives, and the processes necessary for implementing new capabilities in the organization or the reinvestment or divestment of existing capabilities. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 31723)
3.1 The VCDS is responsible for providing direction on enterprise architecture (EA) in the DND and the CAF.
3.2 EA provides a standardized methodology in the DND and the CAF that:
- supports analysis, informs recommendations regarding policies, projects and objectives, and guides decision making;
- facilitates awareness of the impacts of changing business and operational needs, such as the modification or introduction of new systems, solutions and capabilities;
- promotes the optimal investment and efficient use of existing resources; and
- links programmes, projects and capabilities to strategies and goals that they support and to their required resources.
3.3 The identification of EA requires an understanding of:
- the relationships between activities and organizational goals; and
- the resources required to support activities in order to meet organizational goals.
3.4 A functioning practice for EA relies on the effective production, maintenance, tailored re-use and control of EA. This practice is essential for effective decision-making support and the alignment of programme, project and initiative development priorities.
3.5 The DAOD 2011 series, along with the Department of National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces Architecture Framework (DNDAF), should be read in conjunction with other relevant DND and CAF policies, instructions, directives and standards.
3.6 The DND and the CAF are committed to:
- continuing the development, maintenance and management of EA that accurately reflects the evolving capabilities of the DND and the CAF; and
- ensuring improvement in the practice of EA to support:
- effective decision making; and
- the interoperability of EA across the DND and the CAF, and with other federal departments and allies.
3.7 The DND and the CAF must:
- establish an EA Programme for EA practitioners;
- establish a centralized repository for EA usage and management;
- provide direction in support of the standardization of EA processes and toolsets;
- establish a community of interest or practice for EA; and
- ensure the integration of EA in all programmes, projects and capabilities.
4.1 Should clarification of the policy statement, requirements or authorities set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. The anticipated results set out in the policy statement may not be achieved by the DND and the CAF if the requirements specified in in this DAOD are not properly implemented. Not achieving the anticipated results could affect the ability of the DND and the CAF to ensure that the CAF is prepared to undertake missions for the protection of Canada and Canadians and the maintenance of international peace and stability.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
||has or have the authority to …
level one advisors
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Directive on Management of Information Technology, Treasury Board
- DAOD 1000-10, Policy Framework for Corporate Administration Management
- DAOD 2011-1, Enterprise Architecture Programme
- 2005 April Report of the Auditor General of Canada, Chapter 4, National Defence – C4ISR Initiative in Support of Command and Control
- Department of National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces Architecture Framework (DNDAF)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: