DAOD 2020-4, Supplementary Reserve
Table of Contents
Date of Issue: 2015-05-21
Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- DAOD 5002-4, Supplementary Reserve
- CANFORGEN 184/09, Changes to Supplementary Reserve Policy
Approval Authority: Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS)
Enquiries: Director Reserve Support Management (DRSM)
Purpose of the Supplementary Reserve (Supp Res)
2.1 The Supp Res is a sub-component of the Reserve Force (Res F). The purpose of the Supp Res sub-component is to augment the Regular Force (Reg F) and the other sub-components of the Res F. Augmentation is accomplished by providing CAF members of the Supp Res (Supp Res members) to the Reg F and other sub-components of the Res F through the component and sub-component transfer processes:
- as required during normal peacetime situations, with the consent of each Supp Res member; or
- during an emergency or if placed on active service, without their consent.
Liability to Serve
3.1 Supp Res members may be placed on active service under subsection 31(1) of the National Defence Act (NDA).
3.2 QR&O subparagraph 2.034(b), Reserve Force – Sub-components, provides that Supp Res members who are not on active service are not, without their consent, required to perform military or any other form of duty or training.
3.3 QR&O paragraph 9.04(3) provides that Supp Res members are not subject to be called out on service in an emergency.
3.4 In accordance with section 276 of the NDA, Supp Res members are not liable to be called out for service in aid of the civil power without their consent unless they are on active service.
Supp Res Composition
4.1 The Supp Res sub-component is comprised of CAF members who:
- have previously served in the Reg F or another sub-component of the Res F; or
- did not have previous military experience when they enrolled but who do have special skills or expertise for which there is a military requirement.
4.2 Pursuant to the Chief of the Defence Staff letter, Command of Supplementary Reserve, the Commander, Military Personnel Command, commands, controls and administers the Supp Res sub-component.
5.1 Details concerning the management of Supp Res members are set out in Canadian Forces Military Personnel Instruction (CF Mil Pers Instr) 02/15, Supplementary Reserve.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
6.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for the CAF as an institution and for CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance will be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
6.2 The DSRM is responsible for notifying the VCDS of any non-compliance with this DAOD.
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 2020-1, Primary Reserve
- DAOD 2020-2, Canadian Rangers
- DAOD 2020-3, Cadet Organizations Administration and Training Service
- Chief of the Defence Staff letter dated 7 October 2008, Command of Supplementary Reserve
- CMP letter dated 11 July 2008, CO of NDHQ PRL and SUPP RES and Acting DMP Pol (available in English and paper copy only)
- CF Mil Pers Instr 02/15, Supplementary Reserve
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: