DAOD 6004-0, Defence Terminology
Date of Issue: 2019-02-01
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: DAOD 6110-0, Defence Terminology
Approval Authority: Assistant Deputy Minister (Information Management) (ADM(IM))
Enquiries: Director Defence Information Management Planning (DDIMP)
defence terminology (terminologie de la défense)
The body of standardized general, doctrinal, operational, organizational, technical, procedural and administrative terminology pertaining to DND and CAF activities. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 27543)
The body of terms, abbreviations, acronyms, codes, symbols and definitions used in a given field. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 27541)
terminology management (gestion de la terminologie)
The planning, collection, development, exploitation, classification, publication, maintenance, storage and protection of terminology as a corporate resource to ensure its accurate and consistent use. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 27544)
terminology standardization (normalisation de la terminologie)
The application of approval procedures by authorities representing the breadth of a field of expertise to achieve and maintain the required level of commonality and consistency of terminology in that field. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 27545)
3.1 Defence terminology is a key resource for authoring policy, doctrine, direction and guidance within the DND and the CAF. Standardized defence terminology is essential for:
- consistent interpretation of doctrine and procedures;
- uniformity of policy and instructional instruments; and
- interoperability in joint operations and other military activities.
3.2 This DAOD should be read in conjunction with the DND and CAF IM and IT Policy Framework and other relevant policies, directives, instructions, standards and guidance.
3.3 The DND and the CAF are committed to adopting well-defined and consistent defence terminology in both official languages.
3.4 The DND and the CAF must:
- create and maintain defence terminology that is clear, concise, accurate and linguistically equivalent in both official languages;
- ensure the centralized terminology management of defence terminology throughout its life cycle as a corporate resource of strategic value;
- provide a centralized repository of defence terminology; and
- ensure defence terminology is consistent, where practicable, with normal dictionary use and the terminology ofother government organizations, the defence industry, the principal allies of Canada and other interested parties.
4.1 Should clarification of the policy statement, requirements or authorities set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. The anticipated results set out in the policy statement may not be achieved by the DND and the CAF if the requirements specified in this DAOD are not properly implemented. Not achieving the anticipated results could affect the ability of the DND and the CAF to ensure that the CAF is prepared to undertake missions for the protection of Canada and Canadians and the maintenance of international peace and stability.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
||has or have the authority to ...
level one advisors and commanders of commands
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Official Languages Act
- DAOD 1000-6, Policy Framework for Information and Information Technology Management
- DAOD 6000-0, Information Management and Information Technology
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: