DAOD 7011-0, Service Estates and Personal Belongings
Date of Issue: 2007-11-21
Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: CFAO 25-1, Service Estates and Personal Belongings
Approval Authority: Judge Advocate General (JAG)
Enquiries: JAG/Director of Estates or the nearest JAG representative
personal belongings (effets personnels)
Has the same meaning as prescribed in QR&O article 25.16, Committee of Adjustments to Deal with Personal Belongings.
service estate (succession militaire)
Has the same meaning as prescribed in subsection 42(2) of the National Defence Act.
3.1 The term "next of kin" (NOK) normally means a person's spouse, common-law partner, child or parent.
3.2 Form DND 2587, Next of Kin (NOK) Identification Form, permits a CAF member to identify a Next of Kin (NOK) as defined by QR&O article 1.02, Definitions. However, the identification of primary and secondary NOK does not provide that person with any power or duty as an executor, liquidator of the succession or administrator for the purposes of the distribution of the estate of a deceased CAF member or the disposition of the remains.
3.3 The CAF shall collect and safeguard:
- the service estate of a member of the Regular Force;
- the service estate of a member of the Reserve Force if the member dies during Class "B" or "C" Reserve Service; and
- the personal belongings of a CAF member when the CAF member is reported missing or is released with unsound mind.
3.4 The above actions shall not be taken in respect of any part of the service estate located in family living accommodation, or already in the care or custody of the NOK, the executor or the liquidator of the succession unless, in the opinion of the Director of Estates, the circumstances make such action necessary for their safekeeping.
3.5 A committee of adjustment shall be appointed within 48 hours of the death of a CAF member.
4.1 The JAG has been appointed by the Minister of National Defence as the Director of Estates. The following table identifies the authorities responsible for implementing this DAOD:
|The ...||has the authority to ...|
Estates Administration Officer
carry out the functions and duties in respect of service estates and personal belongings on behalf of the Director of Estates.
deviate from any provision of this DAOD or DAOD 7011-1, Responsibilities for Service Estates and Personal Belongings, if unusual circumstances make it necessary and communication with the Director of Estates is not practicable.
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- QR&O Chapter 25, Service Estates and Personal Belongings
- CBI 210.20, Funeral and Burial
- DAOD 7011-1, Responsibilities for Service Estates and Personal Belongings
- DAOD 7012-0, Wills
- DAOD 7012-1, Preparation and Administration of Wills
- CANFORGEN 190/11, Emergency Contact(s) Notification and Next of Kin Identification Forms
- Form DND 2587, Next of Kin (NOK) Identification Form
- Date modified: