DAOD 8012-0, Meteorology and Oceanography
Date of Issue: 2011-08-04
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- CFAO 48-3, Meteorological/Oceanographic Standards Evaluation Programme
- CFAO 48-5, Canadian Forces Weather Services
Approval Authority: Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI)
Enquiries: Director Meteorology and Oceanography (D Met Oc)
The environment has a major impact on operations and training due to the occurrence of extreme and varied weather and oceanographic conditions during all seasons.
Timely and accurate meteorological and oceanographic (METOC) products and services are therefore required at strategic, operational and tactical levels to ensure the safety and optimization of operations and training.
The D Met Oc on behalf of CDI provides functional direction and guidance to the DND and the CAF in all matters pertaining to METOC products and services.
The DND and the CAF are committed to providing appropriate METOC products and services to:
- ensure the safety of DND employees, CAF members and military resources; and
- maximize the operational effectiveness of units and other elements, both in and outside Canada.
The DND and the CAF shall:
- maintain a METOC products and services programme with:
- – scientific integrity and safety oversight; and
- – sufficient CAF meteorological technicians and oceanography officers, and personnel from
other government departments made available through interdepartmental memoranda
- use METOC monitoring equipment, including meteorological observing stations, weather radar and ocean buoys;
- use METOC products and services from:
- – other government departments through interdepartmental memoranda of understanding; and
- – allied nations under NATO, the Canada/United States Military Cooperation Committee and
- ensure METOC products and services are available on DND and CAF networks; and
- set standards for:
- – METOC products and services;
- – METOC monitoring equipment; and
- – training related to meteorology and oceanography.
The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
has the authority to …
commander of a command
D Met Oc
- B-GJ-005-200/FP-000, Joint Intelligence Doctrine
- National Defence Security Instruction 26, Access to and Release of Information
- DAOD 8012-1, Meteorological and Oceanographic Products and Services Programme
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: