DAOD 8012-0, Meteorology and Oceanography
Date of Issue: 2011-08-04
Date of Last Modification: 2022-09-28
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- CFAO 48-3, Meteorological/Oceanographic Standards Evaluation Programme
- CFAO 48-5, Canadian Forces Weather Services
Approval Authority: Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI)
Enquiries: Director Meteorology and Oceanography (D Met Oc)
2. Policy Direction
2.1 The environment has a major impact on operations and training due to the occurrence of extreme and varied weather and oceanographic conditions during all seasons.
2.2 Timely and accurate meteorological and oceanographic (METOC) data, products and services are therefore required at strategic, operational and tactical levels to ensure the safety and optimization of operations and training.
2.3 D Met Oc on behalf of CDI provides direction and guidance to the DND and the CAF in all matters pertaining to METOC data, products and services.
2.4 The DND and the CAF are committed to providing appropriate METOC data, products and services to:
- ensure the safety of DND employees, CAF members and military resources; and
- maximize the operational effectiveness of units and other elements, both in and outside Canada.
2.5 The DND and the CAF must:
- maintain the METOC Data, Products and Services Programme with:
- scientific integrity and safety oversight; and
- sufficient CAF meteorological technicians and oceanography officers, and personnel from other government departments made available through interdepartmental memoranda of understanding;
- use METOC monitoring equipment, including meteorological observing stations, weather radar and ocean buoys;
- use METOC data, products and services from:
- other government departments through interdepartmental memoranda of understanding; and
- allied nations under North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the Canada/United States Military Cooperation Committee and other arrangements;
- ensure METOC data, products and services are available on DND and CAF networks; and
- set standards for:
- METOC data, products and services;
- METOC monitoring equipment; and
- training related to meteorology and oceanography.
3.1 Should clarification of the policy statement, requirements or authorities set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. The anticipated results set out in the policy statement may not be achieved by the DND and the CAF if the requirements specified in this DAOD are not properly implemented. Not achieving the anticipated results could affect the ability of the DND and the CAF to ensure that the CAF is prepared to undertake missions for the protection of Canada and Canadians and the maintenance of international peace and stability.
4.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
has the authority to …
commanders of a command
Commander Canadian Forces Intelligence Command (CFINTCOM)
|D Met Oc||
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 1000-10, Policy Framework for Corporate Administration Management
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: