Cost Estimates for CAF International Operations - RPP 2014-15
Cost Estimates for Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) International Operations
|($ thousands)||FY 2013-14 Forecast||FY 2014-15 Planned|
|International Operations||Full DND Cost1||Incremental
|Full DND Cost1||Incremental
|OP SCULPTURE - IMATT (Sierra Leone)3||11||11||0||0|
|OP CROCODILE - MONUC (DRC)4||3,353||984||2,111||1,114|
|OP SOPRANO - UNMISS (Juba, South Sudan)5||4,255||1,956||3,334||2,307|
|OP SATURN - UNAMID (Darfur)6||120||81||234||232|
|Arabian Gulf Region and South West Asia|
|OP ATTENTION - (Afghanistan Training Mission)7||261,086||144,339||14,467||4,500|
|OP TRANSITION (Afghanistan)8||64,137||43,468||44,005||43,600|
|OP ARTEMIS (Arabian Gulf)9||447,738||68,800||449,224||70,200|
|Americas and the Caribbean|
|OP FOUNDATION - (US CENTCOM Tampa/Bahrain/Qatar)10||4,297||1,771||3,386||2,034|
|OP HAMLET - MINUSTAH (Haiti)11||5,594||2,174||1,370||530|
|OP KOBOLD (Kosovo)12||1,441||552||1,015||684|
|OP IGNITION (Iceland)13||13,971||467||0||0|
|OP CALUMET (Sinai) - MFO (non-UN)14||6,600||2,151||12,882||4,765|
|OP JADE - UNTSO (Middle East)15||1,909||435||1,296||457|
|OP PROTEUS (Jerusalem)16||10,791||4,564||8,090||4,796|
|OP SNOWGOOSE - UNFICYP (Cyprus)17||229||57||141||42|
|OP RENAISSANCE (Philippines)18||47,965||30,095||0||0|
|Total*: International Operations||873,497||301,905||541,555||135,261|
|Est UN/MFO revenue to DND||Est UN/MFO revenue to DND|
* Due to rounding, totals may not add up to totals as shown.
1. "Full DND Cost" is the sum of incremental cost plus the salaries of Regular Force personnel, equipment depreciation, command and support cost, as well as the operating cost of some major equipment, such as aircraft, that are within normal planned activity rates and, therefore, had not been included in incremental cost.
2. "Incremental DND Cost" is the additional costs for personnel and equipment that are directly attributable to the Canadian Armed Forces operation. More specifically, incremental costs include the additional cost to deploy troops and equipment and to provide ongoing maintenance and support during the applicable operation, in addition to any specialized training required for the operation. DND does not include the full capital acquisition cost of major equipment in incremental cost, unless procured specifically for the mission with no life expectancy post operation, as this equipment will not be used in other CAF operations.
3. OP SCULPTURE - Canada's participation in the International Military Advisory and Training Team (IMATT) - Terminated 31 March 2013.
4. OP CROCODILE - Canada's military contribution to the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC).
5. OP SOPRANO - Canada's participation in the United Nations Mission in Southern Sudan (UNMISS).
6. OP SATURN - Canada's participation in the United Nations Assistance Mission in Darfur (UNAMID).
7. OP ATTENTION - Canada's participation in the NATO Training Mission - Afghanistan. Mission to close on 31 March 2014, with some residual closure costs in FY 2014-15.
8. OP TRANSITION - Mission to close the CAF combat mission in Afghanistan. Expenses include contracts for the repair and overhaul to reconstitute CAF equipment.
9. OP ARTEMIS - CAF's current participation in maritime security and counter-terrorism operations in the Arabian Sea. Mission has been extended to April 2015.
10. OP FOUNDATION - CAF contribution to US and coalition headquarters.
11. OP HAMLET - Canada's contribution to the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) - CAF infantry platoon deployed with a Brazilian battalion for six months in 2013.
12. OP KOBOLD - Canada's contribution to the NATO-led Kosovo Force (KFOR) headquarters. Mission extended to 31 December 2014.
13. OP IGNITION - Canada's periodic contribution to the NATO Iceland Air Policing (IAP) Program. Mission occurred 18 March - 15 April 2013, overlapping FYs 2012-13 and 2013-14.
14. OP CALUMET - Canada's participation in the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in the Sinai. Increase in cost attributed to the commitment of an additional 40 personnel for four years, commencing in 2014.
15. OP JADE - Canada's contribution to the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO).
16. OP PROTEUS - Canada's contribution to the Office of the United States Security Coordinator (USSC) in Jerusalem.
17. OP SNOWGOOSE - Canada's contribution to United Nations Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP).
18. OP RENAISSANCE - Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) response to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines from 11 November to 23 December 2013.
19. Revenues/Recoveries - UN reimbursement for personnel support costs for OP CALUMET and OP HAMLET.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: