Halifax International Security Forum
Why is the government threatening to pull funding from the Halifax International Security Forum over a proposed award to Taiwan’s president?
- The Government of Canada is proud to support the Halifax International Security Forum.
- The Forum is an annual conference which brings together experts from across the world to discuss international security and defence challenges.
- The Government of Canada has provided financial support to the Halifax International Security Forum since 2009.
- The Forum is run by a non-profit organization and National Defence is not involved in the planning of the Forum nor in selecting recipients for its awards.
- Forum organizers may request panelists on various topics, and National Defence tries to support these requests where we can and when appropriate.
- National Defence will continue to support the Forum in its mission to strengthen strategic cooperation among democracies.
- In 2020, the Department of National Defence provided $3,297,173.30 in funding to the Forum.
- The Government of Canada has provided a total of $25,437,590.30 in funding to the Forum since 2009.
- Halifax International Security Forum 2020 (November 20-22)
- The Minister of National Defence provided the opening remarks.
- Several senior-level officials from DND/CAF participated, including the Deputy Minister, Chief of the Defence Staff and Assistant Deputy Minister (Policy).
- The Halifax international Security Forum is organized by Halifax International Security Forum Inc., an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, D.C.
- The John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service:
- Annual award given at the Forum to individuals from any country who have demonstrated uncommon leadership in the pursuit of human justice.
- Decisions on the award are made independently by the Halifax International Security Forum organization.
- National Defence does not provide input for this award.
Responsible Principals: ADM(Pol)
April 12, 2021
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: