Occupant handbook - Cannabis


As of October 17, 2018, occupants of Department of National Defence housing are permitted to possess, consume and grow cannabis for recreational use in all residential housing units in accordance with Canadian federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws. This applies to all occupants, including Canadian Armed Forces members and/or guest(s) in the unit, including the front, back and side yards, as well as any additional buildings such as garages and sheds.

  • You must abide by all provincial and municipal laws with respect to smoking cannabis in public areas and/or in proximity to schools and playgrounds
  • You and your dependants are expected to make responsible choices with respect to using cannabis for recreational or medical purposes, and apply “good neighbour” considerations. It is your responsibility to ensure that consumption of cannabis does not negatively impact your immediate neighbours and neighbourhood, particularly in adjoining units.
  • It is your responsibility to make sure that all cannabis plants and cannabis products in your possession are secure, and that other people, including children, can’t access them.
  • You are permitted to grow up to four (4) cannabis plants per household for personal consumption. Please note that it is prohibited to grow cannabis where it is prohibited by provincial legislation.
  • You must follow Canadian federal, provincial, territorial and local municipal laws and/or base/wing standing orders with respect to consuming cannabis in public areas and any restrictions that apply to consuming cannabis in proximity to local schools, school yards and any public child play areas, or other public place frequented by persons under the legal consumption limit.



  • Growing of cannabis plants must be in a secured/locked area (e.g. fenced yard or locked shed/shelter). Written permission from the Canadian Forces Housing Agency Housing Services Centre for the fence and/or shed/greenhouse is required. Canadian Armed Forces occupants will be responsible for the cost related to the construction and removal of any security fence or shed/shelter.


  • If you are growing plants indoors, ensure that there is enough ventilation to remove excess moisture and humidity to stop mould from building up in your housing unit, find out more in our indoor air quality section.
  • You may not, under any circumstances, make changes to the structure of the housing unit or your electrical/or heating system.
  • You must take care if using heat lamps, hydroponic and/or self-contained growing units due to the potential risk of fire.

Safe disposal of cannabis

  • You are responsible for disposing of cannabis plants before moving out.


You will be held legally and financially responsible for all costs incurred for all damages caused by growing and/or consuming cannabis. The costs related to damages include, but are not limited to:

  • cleaning
  • structural
  • electrical/heating/plumbing
  • landscaping
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: