Occupant handbook - Fire safety


  • Safely dispose of cigarette butts in a non-combustible container filled with water or sand
  • Smoke in areas away from things that burn, such as potted plants, combustible vegetation and planters
  • Never empty smoking material directly into a trash can
  • Place ashtrays or metal cans away from anything that can burn
  • During the summer months dry conditions and very warm weather can create dangerous conditions around your housing unit specifically with fire sources
  • Provide designated smoking areas and suitable disposal containers in or around your housing unit
  • Be alert and investigate unusual smoke smells
  • Take an active role in ensuring smoking safety, whether you smoke or not
  • Keep matches and lighters away from children
  • Remind those who use home oxygen not to smoke

Please note that you will be held financially responsible for all costs incurred for any and all damages caused by smoking to the inside or outside or your housing unit.

Fire pits

Solid fuel burning fire pits shall not be used on Department of National Defence property, as promulgated by Department of National Defence policy.

Flammable liquids

As directed by the Canadian Forces Fire Marshal, no more than 15L of flammable and combustible liquids (of which no more than 5L can be flammable liquids) are permitted to be stored in a residence. All flammable liquids are to be stored in an approved container. Examples of flammable liquids include gasoline, kerosene and camping fuel (naphtha). Examples of combustible liquids include diesel fuel, automotive oil, Varsol and paint thinner.

Barbeque equipment

Please note that portable barbeques are designed for outdoor use only, and propane tanks cannot be stored inside the house. When in use, you need to keep your barbeque at least 3.0 metres away from any structures.

Deep fat fryers

These appliances are a major cause of fires so please use with extreme caution. Only fryers approved by a certified testing laboratory, such as Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) may be used in your house.

Clutter and waste material accumulation

For your own safety, rubbish and combustible waste shall be removed from your property on a regular basis. Waste accumulation shall be removed from your property on a regular basis, or it will be removed at your expense (also see sections on good housekeeping practices and waste management.)

Escape planning

You are strongly encouraged to create and practice an escape plan as soon as you take possession of your home. Negative consequences of fire, such as injury or death, can be avoided with a properly practiced and executed escape plan. Contact your local fire hall for more information about fire safety.

Combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm

The Canadian Forces Housing Agency conducts an annual smoke and carbon monoxide alarm battery replacement, cleaning and inspection. You should test all alarms in your home once a month to ensure the detector is functioning properly, to recognize the alarm sounds and to replace any batteries that are defective.

Carbon monoxide and smoke alarm procedures

The carbon monoxide alarm sounds with four (4) beeps followed by five (5) seconds of silence. If the carbon monoxide alarm signal sounds:

  • Immediately move your family to safety – outdoors
  • Call your emergency local service or fire department (911)

Automatic sprinkler systems

Automatic sprinklers may have been installed in your home. Automatic sprinkler systems provide for life safety and property protection and you may see exposed sprinklers in the basement or concealed sprinklers in the living areas.

  • Never suspend anything from the sprinklers; this may inadvertently activate the sprinkler
  • Never store anything within 45cm (18”) of an automatic sprinkler; this will impair its ability to effectively control a fire
  • Do not adjust any of the sprinkler system components found near your water supply entrance in the basement. If you notice anything unusual such as a change in house water pressure or leaking pipes, please notify the Housing Services Centre as soon as possible

More information

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: