Occupant handbook - Other

Intra-base moves

Occupants who request an intra-base move may be permitted for the following reasons:

  • Change in household size resulting from:
    • A change in marital status
    • Increase in the number of dependants by birth or adoption
    • Other relatives or persons, not classified as dependants, approved to live in the house and who are reflected in the occupant’s official household size
  • Compassionate reasons

Intra-base moves are generally not considered during the active posting season, but can be considered at the discretion of the Housing Services Centre Manager, subject to availability of housing.

The final approval of such moves depends on a passed pre-inspection. This means there is no damage (other than fair wear-and-tear) done to the present unit. The move will not be approved until any damage has been repaired and/or paid for to the satisfaction of the Housing Services Centre.

You are responsible for shelter charges, utility costs, and liability and damage insurance coverage for both houses during the move because you remain responsible for the previous unit until official move-out has occurred, and for the new unit on the day the keys are provided.

The move-out date from the old home must be the same as the move-in date of the new home. However, if you need a few days to move in, please submit a written request to the Housing Services Centre as additional rent will be charged. The shelter charge for your new home will be payable by cheque on the day the keys are picked up. The old home’s shelter charge will still be source deducted from your pay until the move-out procedures are completed.

Domestic pets

You will need to consult and adhere to the local municipal by-laws and the base/wing standing orders regarding domestic pets. In accordance with the above, the Housing Services Centre will limit the kind and number of domestic pets you are allowed to have in your house, or ban them completely.

If you own a pet(s), these are Canadian Forces Housing Agency regulations that must also be followed:

  • Your pets cannot bother other neighbours or damage property. You could be held legally responsible for any injuries or damage caused by your pets to persons, property or other pets. These damages include, but are not limited to:
    • Any additional cleaning including the removal of pet hair; remedial work or replacement of carpets where there are urine or feces stains and odours which cannot be removed; and fumigation for fleas and ticks
    • The repair of damage to walls, screens or scratching of glass panels
    • Any damage to landscaping or fences
  • Dogs must be kept under effective restraint and cannot run loose beyond the property boundary. Dogs left outdoors unattended must be fenced in or tethered on a leash that will restrict them to the property boundary. Please do not use clothes lines to tether your dog(s). Cats do not normally need to be restrained to the same extent as dogs unless complaints are received that they are a nuisance or are causing damage
  • You are responsible for cleaning up and immediately throwing out any pet waste left on any property by your dog or cat (stoop and scoop)
  • Where applicable, you need to buy licences for all pets belonging to the household

Pest management

Strategies for managing pest populations must be developed according to the species of pest as well as the threat they pose to people, property and the environment. For Canadian Forces Housing Agency-managed housing units, the focus of pest management is to reduce any potential health hazard, prevent loss or damage to Canadian Forces Housing Agency and/or occupant property and prevent proliferation of pests. Pest control will only be undertaken by the Housing Services Centre to protect the structure of the residence.

The Housing Services Centre will not undertake pest control for skunks, rabbits, or other roaming animals, or for insects outside the house. For your safety, please do not feed wild animals.

After you have lived in your house for six weeks, and where it is confirmed pests inside your house are there because of negligence (i.e. poor housekeeping), you will be responsible for all pest control costs. The Housing Services Centre is only responsible for pest control costs when it is confirmed that the infestation has not been caused by negligence.

If you want pest control treatment in your residence as a preventive measure, you are responsible for the costs.

Any pest control measures that are related to structures you have installed on your property are your responsibility.

Good neighbour considerations

Conscientious and respectful neighbours help create a happy community. The following guidelines will maintain a respectful neighbourhood for you and your family:

  • Do not trespass on the grounds of your neighbours
  • Do not disturb the peace and/or comfort of your neighbours or of any person in any residential unit. This means you should not cause or permit anything that unreasonably interferes with your neighbours’ peace, privacy or quiet enjoyment, including barking dogs and loud parties
  • Respect all local by-laws and base or wing standing orders
  • The behaviour of guests invited to your home is your responsibility

Hazardous spills

If hazardous materials such as fuel oil, gasoline, pesticides or otherwise are spilled inside or outside the residence, the occurrence must be reported to the Housing Services Centre or, if outside of regular working hours, to the emergency after-hours response service immediately so that proper precautions and/or remedial actions can be taken to minimize health and safety as well as environmental concerns.

Firearms and ammunition

If you own firearms and/or ammunition, you must report to the Military Police and/or local policing authority to get instructions on how these items need to be licensed and stored.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: