Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Reserve Force Compensation (RFC)


If I am injured while working out at home or in a civilian gym while preparing for the FORCE test, am I entitled to RFC?

You could be entitled to RFC if the injury suffered while you were participating in an activity approved by your Commanding Officer in order to prepare for the FORCE Evaluation.  Reserve members are required to maintain certain fitness levels in order to meet the Universality of Service principle.

I am a Class A member. If I get injured in a car accident on my way to or from work, would I be entitled to RFC?

There could be an entitlement to RFC if it can be determined that you have met the requirements of service as defined in section 9.06(2) of the Queen’s Regulations and Orders (QR&O) which states: “Class “A” Reserve Service includes proceeding to and returning from the place where the training or duty is performed, but not when that training or duty is performed at a local headquarters including attendance at local parades, local demonstrations or local exercises.”

I am still able to parade with my unit, but I am not able to return to my civilian employment due to my injury.  Am I entitled to RFC for the loss of those wages?

No, you are not entitled to RFC for the loss of those civilian wages.  RFC is not considered to be a wage loss replacement or top-up program.

I am now able to parade with my unit.  Can I still receive RFC?

RFC is no longer payable on the day the treatment for the injury, illness or disease is complete and a competent medical authority determined you were able to resume Active Participation in the Reserve Force.

I am a reservist and a full-time student with a part-time job.  If I got injured while on duty, would I get reimbursed loss of wages if I am unable to work at my part-time job?

Full-time students may be entitled to RFC when there is a loss of pay from scheduled unit parade nights, weekend training and part-time civilian employment that the Reservist would have normally pursued while going to school and did not because of the injury.  The Government of Canada website defines Full-time Student as a student enrolled in at least 60 per cent of a full time courses load (or 40 per cent for students with permanent disabilities), for a period of at least 12 consecutive weeks at a designed educational institution.

Am I eligible to participate in a Return to Duty (RTD) Program while in receipt of RFC?

Yes, a member may participate in a CAF Return to Duty (RTD) Program while in receipt of RFC.

RTD is recommended by a Medical Officer as part of a treatment plan and for the purpose of RFC does not constitute active participation in the Reserve Force.  Should a member on RFC commence a RTD program, a copy of the Return to Duty Referral form (CF 2018E) is to be included with each request for extension of RFC, along with detailed information about the actual placement (type of work performed, location, hours worked, days worked or Statement of Understanding (SOU)/RTD Plan if available).

Impact on Reserve Pay and Benefits

Will I continue to receive my military pay Allowances while receiving RFC?

No, you will no longer receive the payment of allowances when you start receiving RFC.

If I am on Class A or B Reserve service, do I remain on duty status at the same level while receiving RFC?

A Primary Reservist cannot receive RFC benefits while also working and receiving pay from the Primary Reserves. You cannot be on Class A or B service and receive RFC.

Will my rate of pay change while I receive RFC?

RFC is compensation for an injury attributable to your military service; it is not considered paid service.  Compensation is based on the member’s of pay on the date that the injury occurred (or diagnosis was made).  The rate of compensation will increase in accordance with Treasury Board pay increases (e.g. annual pay raises apply).  Pay Increments will not apply.

Are there any deductions from RFC, and if so, what are they?

Yes, there are deductions from the payment of RFC. CAF Pension, Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance and Federal Tax are deducted from your RFC payment.

I am an Annuitant. Will I still be entitled to receive my CAF Pension while in receipt of RFC?

Yes, at this time if you are an Annuitant and in in receipt of RFC, you will still be entitled to receive your CAF Pension.

Is the payment of RFC the same as normal pay periods?

The payment of RFC will be entered into the pay system and you will receive RFC benefits at the same time you would have received your usual Reserve Pay.

Am I entitled to Annual Leave while in receipt of RFC?

No, members on RFC are not entitled to annual leave since they are not on a period of Reserve Force service.

Will I have access to the benefits of the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) and the Reserve Dental Care Plan (RDCP) while I receive “Reserve Force – Compensation During A Period of Injury, Disease or Illness (RFC)”?

No, you will not have access to the Public Service Health Care (PSHCP) or the Reserve Dental Care Plan (RDCP) while in receipt of RFC.

Is my unit responsible for the payment of RFC or is it through a central fund?

RFC is paid through a central fund.  When RFC is approved, an Authority Message is issued by National Defence Headquarters, Director of Casualty Support Management (DCSM) to your military unit through the Chain of Command with the amount to be compensated, the period covered, a financial Code and additional instructions on how to enter the compensation in the Reserve Pay System.

Application Process

Where do I find Application Forms?

Forms required to apply for RFC are available electronically through the Defence Forms Catalogue on the Defence Wide Area Network (DWAN). See your unit orderly room for assistance.

How is my RFC application processed?

The DND 2398 (version 09-2015) shall be initiated by the member’s unit. Prior to having the unit CO sign the completed DND 2398, unit Adjutants are strongly encouraged to seek feedback from their respective Brigade/Group. All original RFC requests and supporting documentation shall be scanned and e-mailed directly to the Director of Casualty Support Management (DCSM) 2 for review and adjudication (++DCSM 2 Casualty Support@CMP DCSM@Ottawa-Hull, while concurrently informing their normal Chain of Command.  Hardcopies are to be submitted by the member’s unit through their respective Brigade/Group HQ’s for their written recommendation to the Division/Command who will in turn, send their recommendations to DCSM 2. The request should reach DCSM 2 as soon as possible, but no later than three months following the termination of the class of reserve service during which the injury, disease or illness occurred.

How long does it take to process a RFC application?

It should not take more than 30 days to process an application, from the time the injured Reservist initiates the RFC request through their Chain of Command.  However units may have difficulties in gathering all the required information in a timely fashion which adversely affect the individual and his family both financially and mentally.  Should it become obvious that the RFC request is going to take a lengthy period of time to complete and the member requires emergency funding, the individual may  request a pay advance through their Chain of Command in accordance with Compensation and Benefits Instructions (CBI 210.72(5).

How can I request additional RFC?

When an injury or illness continues beyond the period for which RFC was initially approved by National Defence Headquarter (Director of Casualty Support Management), and the Commanding Officer (CO) believes that further compensation is warranted for the member, the unit must submit updated documentation directly to the Director of Casualty Support Management (DCSM 2) adjudication vial vice vial.  Their normal Chain of Command should be informed and hard copies of the updated documentation should be sent through the mail.  Updated documentation should include the following:

  1. Annex A – Medical Doctor’s Statement (obtained by the Reservist from the MO)
  2. Annex B – Member’s Statement (completed and signed by the member)
  3. Appendix 1 to Annex B – Employer’s Statement (if the member had a civilian employment prior to the injury)
  4. Annex D – Statement of member’s lost Class “A” training days (for full time student only, including proof of school registration)
  5. CF 2088 Notification of change of medical category, or Medical Employment Limitations; or Medical Chits relevant to the Reservist’s injury or illness
  6. Return to Duty (RTD) details/SOU or RTD Plan (if applicable)
If an application for RFC is denied, can I appeal the decision?

Yes, should an application for RFC be denied, the member’s Chain of Command can request to the National headquarters to re-visit the decision however they must provide further information/evidence.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: