Spousal education upgrade benefit
From: National Defence
If you become ill or injured as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, and your spouse or common-law partner would like to upgrade their formal education or skills, you may be reimbursed for the cost of tuition, books and other fees.
Who is eligible
Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible if you meet all of the following requirements:
- your injury happened while on operations in Afghanistan
- your Base or Wing surgeon has determined you have a permanent catastrophic impairment
- it is determined by the appropriate CAF authorities that you could not benefit from any federal tuition or Vocational Assistance Program
A maximum of $20,000 will be reimbursed for educational upgrade expenses. Reimbursement for expenses under the Spousal Education Upgrade Benefit may limit your eligibility for additional benefits under Veterans Affairs Canada Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance Program.
What you need before you start
Contact us for help
To get more information, visit your local transition centre or contact the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group by:
- Canada wide toll free: 1-800-883-6094
- National Capital Region: 613-995-1457
- Worldwide via the Military network: CSN 995-1457
- TTY/TDD: 1-800-467-9877
Contact a representative Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm Eastern Standard Time. Our service standard is same day or next business day. All calls are confidental.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: