Join the Cadet Program
Who can join and how
To be eligible for membership as a Cadet one must:
- be a legal resident of Canada:
NOTE: A legal resident of Canada is a Canadian citizen, a landed immigrant, or, the dependant of a person who is lawfully resident in Canada on a temporary basis for the purpose of education or employment.
- provide proof of provincial health insurance coverage or equivalent;
- be at least 12 years of age;
- not have attained 19 years of age;
- normally be in good physical condition;
- not belong to another corps or squadron; and
- be acceptable to the Commanding Officer (CO) of the cadet corps or squadron.
The CO of the cadet corps or squadron shall review and approve all membership applications; however, he/she shall consult with the Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU) when there is uncertainty as to whether an application meets the basic membership standards or an application requires special consideration such as:
- application from a youth who is not yet a legal resident of Canada; and
- application from a youth who has a medical, physical or mental condition specified in Part 2 of the CF 1158 that cannot be accommodated as outlined in the What about medical, physical and mental conditions section below.
Decide whether you want to join Sea Cadets, Army Cadets or Air Cadets.
Once you decided on the element (Sea, Army or Air Cadets), you need to find the Cadet Corps (Sea or Army) or Squadron (Air) that is closest to you. To help you find the Corps or Squadron closest to you, please visit the Corps and Squadron Directory.
You are welcome to contact the Cadet Corps or Squadron that you have identified to find out further information and details on where they are located and if you can attend one of their weekly meeting and find out what time is best to go and visit.
Please note that local cadet corps and squadrons do not have full time office staff, please leave a message and someone will reach out to you as soon as possible.
Go and visit the Corps or Squadron that you have chosen to join. Upon joining you will need to bring a few things with you which include:
- photocopy of the birth certificate or equivalent; and
- photocopy of the health insurance card (where available).
A few forms that will need to be completed and signed. – If you are under the age of 18 your will need your parents/guardians to sign the paperwork before you can get started!
Start your Cadet Personnel Record. The Cadet Personnel Record is stored safely and securely at the Cadet Corps or Squadron with limited access.
All the necessary forms completed? All required documentation is verified and then you have been accepted for membership – welcome to the Cadet Program.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: