Annex A – Order of military merit Advisory Council – Terms of reference
1150-110/A60 – 3 March 2016
Chair: CDS Members: VCDS Comd Secretary: DH&R Recording Secretary: DH&R Orders, Decorations & Awards Mgr
DH&R Orders, Decorations & Awards Mgr
- The Order of Military Merit Advisory Council is established by section 7 of the Constitution of the Order to consider submissions received from the L1 Honours and Awards Committees for admission to and promotion in the Order of Military Merit (ORMM).
- In accordance with section 8 of the Constitution of the ORMM, the Advisory Council will consider nominations of persons of merit for admission to or promotion in the ORMM as:
- Commanders, Officers or Members;
- Extraordinary Commanders, Officers or Members; and
- Honorary Commanders, Officers or Members
- The Advisory Council will be convened once a year, usually in late September, to consider personnel having the greatest merit in each division of membership. The Advisory Council will use the simple majority voting system, with the Chair voting only to break a tie.
- Members who are not able to attend the meeting will have the options of either sending their votes electronically in advance of the meeting to the Secretary, or sending a representative of a rank of BGen/Cmdre who has already been admitted to the ORMM, to convey the votes of the member. The representative will not be invited to attend the portion of the meeting where the selection of Commanders is discussed.
- The Advisory Council has the authority to:
- support the nomination;
- reject the nomination;
- upgrade the nomination to a higher rank; or
- downgrade the nomination to a lower rank.
- The Advisory Council will provide advice on ORMM matters that the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) may refer to the Advisory Council.
- Minutes of the meetings will be prepared by the Secretary and signed by the Secretary and the Chair of the Advisory Council.
- Recommendations for appointments to and promotions in the ORMM will be forwarded to the Governor General by the Chair of the Advisory Council.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: