Annex B – Department of National Defence St. John Honours and Awards Committee – Terms of reference
1150-110/019 – 2 March 2016
Chair: Surgeon General Members: DND Special Center Administration Officer Secretary: DH&R Recording Secretary: DH&R Orders, Decorations & Awards Manager
DND Special Center Training Officer
Three other members selected within the membership of the Order, who have extensive experience with the Order at various levels and can bring diversity and balance to the Committee. The appointments shall be made for a period of three years but may be renewed.
DND Special Center Administration Officer
DH&R Orders, Decorations & Awards Manager
- The Committee was established to consider and make recommendations to the Order of St. John regarding St. John awards for Department of National Defence (DND) personnel (military and civilian). The Committee considers recommendations for the following awards:
- Admissions and promotions in the Order of St. John;
- Chancellor’s Commendations;
- Provincial/Territorial Commendations;
- Award of the Priory Vote of Thanks (PVOT); and
- Award of other St. John awards in exceptional circumstances.
- Meetings will be convened once a year in February or March, or on an as-required basis at the call of the Chair.
- The Committee will use the simple majority voting system with the Chair voting only to break a tie.
- The Committee has the authority to:
- support the nomination;
- reject the nomination;
- upgrade the nomination to a higher level of award;
- downgrade the nomination to a lower level of award;
- refer the case to be considered by another committee if it is deemed that an award other than St. John would be more appropriate; or
- return the nomination to the originator requesting additional information or substantiation.
- Minutes of the meetings will be prepared by the Secretary and signed by the Secretary and the Chair of the Committee.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: