Certification of educational institutions under the Income Tax Act – Apply for certification
Apply for certification
See if your institution is eligible to be certified
- Educational institutions designated by the Canada Student Loans Program do not need to be certified because their programs and courses are already eligible for the tuition tax credit.
To be certified under the Income Tax Act, all other educational institutions must:
- have a legally registered business name and offer courses or training in Canada
- be a college, school, professional organization or business that gives courses that do not result in university credits
- offer one or more programs of study that allow students to gain or improve the skills needed to work in an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification
- be registered with the appropriate provincial or territorial authority as a private vocational or trade school, or provide proof of exemption from registration.
Certification is in effect from January 1 of the year the application is submitted.
To apply for certification, educational institutions must submit the following documents for each location:
- a signed copy of the certification application form (PDF, 1,064 KB)
- a copy of the official registration certificate of the educational institution's business or corporate name
- documented proof of registration as a private vocational or trade school, or written statement that registration is not required (an exemption letter) from the jurisdiction where the educational institution is located
Flight schools must also provide a copy of the operating certificate issued by Transport Canada.
Sending in the documents:
- by email: send the scanned certification request and scanned supporting documents to CDU-UAD@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca
- by fax: 819-654-8489
- by mail or courier to:
- Certification of Educational Institutions
Employment and Social Development Canada
200 Montcalm Street
P.O. Box 2090, Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0J9
Certification is in effect from January 1 of the year the application is submitted. It cannot be applied to previous years.
If you have questions about completing the application form, please contact us toll-free at 1-866-517-5650.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: