Overpayments and repayments

For various reasons, you may need to make a repayment of a debt owed to the Government of Canada. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for the collection of debts for the following programs:

  • Defaulted Canada Student Loans (CSL)
  • Employment Insurance (EI) overpayments and penalties
  • Training Allowances Payment System (TAPS)
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) overpayments
  • Grants and contributions (G&C) overpayments
  • Operations and maintenance (O&M) receivables

Payment instructions

Effective June 2023, issuance of statements will be sent every 60 days as opposed to monthly. Every 60 days, you will receive a statement of account from Service Canada indicating the amount that you owe, including principal and interest (where applicable) as well as any payments or adjustments made during the previous month. Payments are still due and payable in full upon receipt of the statement. If you have a payment arrangement on file, payments are due and payable monthly. If you are not receiving statements you should contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-866-864-5823.

Note that as of August 2023, statements with a credit balance have been suspended temporarily and are no longer issued to clients.

You can pay your account using one of the methods outlined below:

  • online banking:
    • select "Employment and Social Development Canada"
    • enter your 9 digit Social Insurance Number (SIN). If your financial institution requires 11 characters add the letters “YY” or the numbers “00” to the end of your SIN:
      • given that each financial institution is different, please try using your SIN with the letters YY after. If this is not accepted by the system, you should input your SIN and the numbers 00. Once the client ID is created the payment can be transferred to Employment and Social Development Canada
  • cheque or money order:
    • send your payment by cheque or money order
    • mail your payment to the Payment Office indicated on the back of your monthly statement of account
    • make your payment payable to: "Receiver General for Canada"
    • Write your Client ID Number on the front of your cheque or money order
    • include your remittance slip with your payment
    • do not staple your payment to the remittance slip
    • do not send cash through the mail

Establishment of your debt

For details concerning your debt, refer to the appropriate program contact numbers:

  • Canada Student Loans (CSL) – 1-888-815-4514
  • Employment Insurance (EI) – 1-800-206-7218
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS) – 1-800-277-9914
  • Other programs issues – 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)

Repayment arrangement

To discuss payment arrangements for debts owing to Employment and Social Development Canada, such as defaulted Canada Student loans, Employment Insurance overpayments, Employment Programs overpayments and Canada Pension Plan overpayments, contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-866-864-5823.

Payment offices

Mail your cheque or money order to the appropriate payment office.

Payment Office
ESDC Remittances
PO Box 3333
Matane QC  G4W  4R9

Payment Office
ESDC Remittances
PO Box 4444
Matane QC  G4W  4S1

Payment Office
ESDC Remittances
PO Box 6767
Matane QC  G4W  4T1

Payment Office
ESDC Remittances
PO Box 1133
Matane QC  G4W  4S8

Insolvency Unit
Payment Office
PO Box 7777
Matane QC  G4W  4S4

Estates and Assessments Unit
Payment Office
PO Box 8888
Matane QC G4W 4S5

Page details

Date modified: