Learn more about foreign credential recognition in Canada

Working in Canada

Newcomers to Canada must have their foreign licences and certificates recognized to work in some Canadian jobs. This is foreign credential recognition. An authorized individual will confirm that federal, provincial or territorial standards are met. They review your foreign education, language skills or work experience.

Learn about your occupation and where to get your credentials recognized

Regulated occupations require special licences or certificates to work in Canada.

  • You must get your foreign credentials recognized before you can work. There is a cost for this service
  • Each province and territory can give licences to people who meet their occupational standards. The requirements can be different across Canada

Examples of jobs include:

  • accountant
  • architect
  • carpenter
  • doctor
  • electrician, and
  • welder jobs

Most occupations in Canada are non-regulated. This means that you do not typically require any special licences or certifications.

  • You may not need a review of your foreign certificate or licence but an employer can ask for one
  • You may want to include the results when applying for jobs

Examples of areas where professions are not regulated:

  • economics
  • bookkeeping, and
  • marketing

The Foreign Credential Recognition in Canada Tool provides newcomers with information on job requirements such as:

  • if your job is in a regulated occupation
  • who is the regulatory body
  • what kind of alternative job in your field you could work in while you wait for the review of your credentials
  • if there are available jobs
  • what is the pay, and more

Get your credentials recognized

Follow the steps at Get your credentials assessed to get started.

Other resources

Related links

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: