Funding: Foreign Credential Recognition Program – Overview
The Government of Canada provides funding to governments and organizations through the Foreign Credential Recognition Program (FCRP) to support foreign credential recognition in Canada.
The FCRP does not provide money directly to individuals; it provides funding to provincial and territorial governments and other organizations. These other organizations may include regulatory bodies, national associations and credential assessment agencies. Governments and organizations use the funding for programs that help assess and recognize the international credentials and work experience that individuals have acquired in other countries.
The FCRP also helps implement the Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications. The Framework is a joint commitment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to work together to improve foreign credential recognition processes in Canada.
Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications service commitment to target occupations
The Framework sets out a commitment to provide internationally trained individuals in target occupations with timely credential recognition service. This means these individuals will know within one year whether their qualifications, including their credentials, meet Canadian requirements, what other requirements they may need and which other occupations match their skills and experience. Governments are putting supports and processes in place to meet this service standard.
This service commitment is already being met in these target occupations:
- engineering technician
- financial auditor and accountant
- licensed practical nurse
- medical laboratory technologist
- medical radiation technologist
- occupational therapist
- registered nurse
- teacher (K–12)
This service commitment will soon be met in these target occupations:
- audiologist and speech language pathologist
- electrician (industrial and construction)
- heavy duty equipment technician
- heavy equipment operator
Full details of the Framework can be found on the Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications web page.
Guides and help
Related services and info
- Foreign Credential Recognition Program: Approved Projects
- Foreign credential recognition in Canada
- Foreign Credential Recognition Program – Innovation and skilled newcomer employment
- Getting a job in a different province or territory
- Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: