Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities
The Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities is available for each year of your studies as long as you still qualify.
Note: This Grant is not available to students from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Quebec as these provinces and territories operate their own student financial assistance programs.
You are eligible if you:
- apply and qualify for full-time or part-time student financial assistance (have at least a $1 of assessed financial need)
- are enrolled in a full-time or part-time program at a designated post-secondary institution
- meet the definition for students with permanent disabilities:
“a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary school level or the labour force; and is expected to remain with the person for the person’s expected life”;
- include one of the following with your loan application as proof of your disability:
- a medical certificate
- a psycho-educational assessment, or
- documents that prove you have received federal or provincial permanent disability assistance
How much could you receive
You could receive $2,000 each school year (August 1 to July 31) of your studies (including undergraduate and graduate levels).
Example: If you qualify for this grant and you have an assessed need of $1,400, you will receive a $2,000 grant. In this case, the grant would cover your assessed need, so you would not need a student loan.
To apply for the Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities and/or the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities, please contact your province or territory’s student financial assistance office.
Note: A separate application form is required to apply for the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities.
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: