Reporting work-related injury or illness: Federal government employers : Report an injury or illness

4. Report an injury or illness

Information is collected under the authority of the Government Employees Compensation Act (GECA) and the Department of Employment and Social Development Act (DESDA), and is protected under the Privacy Act.

Personal information is used to:

  • administer claims under the GECA and determine their validity
  • identify responsible third parties
  • identify a treatment plan
  • facilitate the return to work and
  • determine compensation benefits

You have the right to the protection of and access to your personal information. It will be kept in the personal information banks ESDC, PCE 701 and ESDC, PPU 32.

You must report all work-related injuries or illnesses requiring medical care beyond first aid or resulting in lost time to the Federal Workers' Compensation Service within three days of the injury.

To report an injury to the Federal Workers' Compensation Service, complete the Employer's Report of Injury or Disease form that corresponds to the province or territory in which the employee normally works:

Note: The forms are provided by the Association of Workers' Compensation Boards of Canada and are subject to our Terms and Conditions.

Employees injured on the job while travelling

Employees travelling in Canada or abroad who are injured on the job are covered by Section 6 of the Government Employees Compensation Act, as long as they are engaged in work for their department or agency at the time of the injury.

Important: Employees are not covered if they depart from their itinerary for personal reasons.

The province in which the worker is normally employed (the location where they will return to work after the travel/temporary duty) will process the compensation claim. Some provincial workers' compensation agencies place restrictions on how long an employee can work outside the province and remain eligible for coverage. To ensure your employees are protected, contact us before making their travel arrangements.

Locally-engaged employees injured on the job

Locally-engaged employees are usually foreign citizens hired by the federal government. They are covered by Section 7 of the Government Employees Compensation Act, which provides support services in Canadian offices overseas, such as embassies and consulates. Federal employers of locally-engaged employees must protect their employees' right to receive compensation for occupational injuries and illness.

If locally-engaged employees are covered for workers' compensation under a local compensation law, the employer must report the incident to the local authority.

If the federal government does not contribute to the local plan or if there is no local workers' compensation plan available, employers must report any work-related injury or disease involving medical attention or lost time using the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board’s Employers’ Report of Injury or Disease form.

Submitting a claim

Submit all claims and supporting documentation under the Government Employees Compensation Act, including claims for employees engaged outside Canada, through:

  • myKEY's secure email: or
  • by mail to:

Federal Workers’ Compensation Service
Claims Operations Unit
165 Hotel-de-Ville
Phase II, 9th Floor (L911)
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0J2

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: