Employers' annual reports
Each year by March 1, employers must submit to the Labour Program two annual reports which cover the previous calendar year. These two annual reports are:
1. Employer's Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report
Under the occupational health and safety regulations of the Canada Labour Code, federally regulated employers are required to submit the Employer’s Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report (EAHOR), no later than March 1 for the preceding 12-month period ending December 31, even if there are no hazardous occurrences to report. The report records the total number of disabling injuries, minor injuries, deaths, occupational diseases and other hazardous occurrences that have occurred in the workplace in the past year.
Failure to comply with the requirement to submit your report by March 1 may result in a general inspection of your workplace to determine if there are other areas of non-compliance with your obligations under the Canada Labour Code.
Complete your EAHOR in the following steps:
Step 1. Obtain the EAHOR
Employers who have an e-mail address on file will receive an electronic package in January of each year. The package includes a prepopulated EAHOR in excel document displaying the work places which were reported in the last submission.
Employers without an e-mail address on file will receive a reporting package by mail to their mailing address which includes a pre-filled paper EAHOR displaying the workplace addresses of sites which were reported in the last submission.
Download the EAHOR template
The EAHOR template is an Excel document requiring Microsoft Excel 2010 to access.
If you cannot access the Excel version, you can also download your report as a PDF:
- Employer's Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report (Canadian Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, Section 15.10) LAB1009
- Employer's Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report (Aviation Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, Subsection 10.7) LAB1010
- Employer's Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report (Maritime Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, Section 280(1)) LAB1145
- Employer's Annual Hazardous Occurrence Report (On Board Trains Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, Section 11.8) LAB1167
If you cannot access the form, please Contact Us.
Step 2. Complete the EAHOR
Information required on the EAHOR:
- Legal name: If blank, enter this information in the template
- Mailing address: If blank, enter this information in the template
- Contact information: Enter your name, e-mail address and business phone number.
- Organization ID - This is an ID which has been assigned to your organization by the Labour Program.
- If you do not know your Organization ID, Contact Us or call 1-800-641-4049 (toll free number)
- Workplace ID - This is an ID assigned to each workplace by the Labour Program. It is used for reference purposes to uniquely identify the workplace.
- If you have any new workplace, leave the "Workplace ID" column blank. Make sure that the address information and all other columns are updated. Please indicate the opening date of the new workplace in the "Comment" section.
- Workplace name – Usually it is your organization name or a workplace specific name.
- Headquarter– Indicate "Y" if the workplace is a corporate headquarter or "N" if the workplace is a branch.
- Workplace reference number – Your own reference number for uniquely identifying each workplace. It is an optional field found in Excel document only.
- Address of Workplace – Ensure that the workplace address of the company is properly written on the pre-populated report or enter this information in the blank template.
- In Excel document the address is separated into the following rows:
- Address - Street address (which is recognized by Canada Post).
Example: Unit 1, 12345 Someplace Street
- Province – in the format XX
- Country – in the format CANADA
- Postal code - in the format A1A1A1
- Address - Street address (which is recognized by Canada Post).
- Total number of employees: This is expressed as "full-time equivalents" (FTEs).
- Number of office employees: This is expressed as "full-time equivalents" (FTEs).
- Total number of hours worked: It includes all hours worked by all employees (part-time, casual, etc.) during that reporting year.
- Workplace Status (Active/Inactive): indicate "Active" if your organization is in operation and "Inactive" if it has been closed.
- Date Activities Ended (Date Ceased): If you have indicated "Inactive" in the section "Workplace Status", enter the date of closure in the section "Date Ceased". Leave this blank if you have indicated "Active" ".
- Comment: It can include any of the followings:
- The legal name is changed, the organization is amalgamated
- Data of workplaces are grouped
- The address on the prepopulated EAHOR is not right
- Starting date for a new workplace
See Additional information and resources for full definitions and instructions.
- Attestation: Once all the information has been entered and verified, check the checkbox.
Keep a copy of the completed EAHORs in your records for the next 10 years.
Save your completed EAHOR on your computer and name it as:
- Organization ID_EAHOR2017_Offboard(or Onboard)
- Example:000290_EAHOR2017_Offboard, 000290_EAHOR2017_Onboard
Step 3. Submit the EAHOR
If you receive your prepopulated EAHOR from the Labour Program by email, you can submit your EAHOR by replying directly to the email sent to you. If you did not receive a prepopulated form, you can submit your EAHOR by email to: EAHOR.INFO-RAESCR.INFO@labour-travail.gc.ca
By Data Gateway
Data Gateway is a secured electronic portal for online submission of EAHOR.
- Click on https://srv115.services.gc.ca/. To access of your Data Gateway account you will need your unique User name and password. To obtain a user name and password please Contact Us or call 1-800-641-4049 (toll free number).
- Upon accessing the Data Gateway for the first time you will be required to enter the username and password provided. After that you will immediately be asked to change your password. You should keep this changed password for next use.
- Once logged in you will be prompted to select from a drop-down menu. Select the organization for which you want to submit a report.
- For account configured for multiple services: Select EAHOR from the drop-down menu.
- Select the number of files you wish to upload then click on "Continue".
- On the next page enter "1" and click "Continue"; on the next page click "Browse" and select the location on your computer where you saved the completed EAHOR, then click "Upload Now". Employers with onboard activities should upload both your Offboard and Onboard files. (The completion of the Onboard template is only applicable to employers of Rail, Marine and Air).
- You should verify that the Data Gateway message indicates the file was uploaded successfully. You can log in at any time in the future to view your submission by View History.
If you are unable to submit your report electronically, you can mail your EAHOR to:
165 de l'Hôtel-de-Ville Street
Place du Portage II, 10th Floor (L1010)
If you need any assistance in the submission of your EAHOR, Contact Us or call 1-800-641-4049 (toll free number).
2. Work Place Committee Report
The Work place committee report summarizes the activities of the health and safety committee over the previous calendar year. This report is to be submitted to the nearest office of the Labour Program within your region.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: