Negotiating and Implementing International Labour Cooperation Agreements
Through the development and implementation of trade-related Labour Cooperation Agreements (LCAs) and Labour Chapters of Free Trade Agreements (LCFTAs), Canada aims to address the labour dimensions of economic integration and to promote respect for fundamental labour principles and rights.
These Agreements are negotiated in parallel to Free Trade Agreements, and seek to improve working conditions and living standards in the signatory countries, and to protect and enhance basic workers' rights. Under these Agreements, participating countries commit to effectively enforce their own labour legislation, cooperate on labour matters, and promote certain key labour principles.
Labour Cooperation Agreements
- North American Agreement on Labour Cooperation (January 1994)
- Canada-Chile Agreement on Labour Cooperation (July, 1997)
- Canada-Costa Rica Agreement on Labour Cooperation (November 2002)
- Canada-Peru Agreement on Labour Cooperation (August 2009)
- Canada-Colombia Agreement on Labour Cooperation (August 2011)
- Canada-Jordan Agreement on Labour Cooperation (October 2012)
- Canada-Panama Agreement on Labour Cooperation (April 2013)
- Canada-Honduras Agreement on Labour Cooperation (October 2014)
Labour chapters of free trade agreements
- Canada-Korea free trade agreement – Labour chapter
- Canada-European Union: Comprehensive economic and trade agreement – Labour chapter
- Canada-Ukraine free trade agreement – Labour chapter
- Comprehensive and progressive agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership – Labour chapter
- Canada-Israel free trade agreement – Labour chapter
The Labour Program also negotiates and implements a number of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) which seek to facilitate cooperation with key partner countries that are not free trade partners in the area of labour.
Memoranda of Understanding
- Canada-Brazil Memorandum of Understanding on Labour Cooperation
- Canada-Argentina Memorandum of Understanding on Labour Cooperation
- Canada-China Memoranda of Understanding in the area of labour – Industrial Relations and Labour Standards
- Canada-China Memoranda of Understanding in the area of labour – Occupational Safety and Health
In addition to implementing these existing agreements, chapters and MOUs, the Labour Program works closely with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada on other ongoing free trade agreement negotiations.
Guidelines for filing public communications
Each of Canada's LCAs and LCFTAs allow for complaints - technically known as “public communications” – to be submitted to signatory countries.
These guidelines describe the procedures and criteria to be followed by the Canadian National Administrative Office for the submission, acceptance and review of public communications on labour law matters pertaining to the LCAs or the LCFTAs.
These guidelines apply to all past, present and future LCAs and LCFTAs but do not apply to any MOUs.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: